DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TK85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the NAVTV unit replaces the oem amp so you would need to get an aftermarket amp for the speakers along with the sub too. But if you are just getting a amp for the sub then the unit won’t work?

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, here’s a couple build pics:

Very nice work. How many hours did the project take you? And how much are you into it for, if you don’t mind me asking?

P.S.
How did your significant other take to the workshop in the living room?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice work. How many hours did the project take you? And how much are you into it for, if you don’t mind me asking?

P.S.
How did your significant other take to the workshop in the living room?

Thank you. She was out of town when I was working on this part lol. Definitely had a lot of cleaning to do.

Here's my build breakdown:
Design: 65.30 hours
In-House Fab: 238.30 hours
Outside Fab: 111.00 hours
Tuning: 24.00 hours
Total Build Time: 439.00 hours

This number will continue to grow as I still have some fit and finish items to deal with along with auditioning some different speakers for my front stage, and most importantly, LOTS more tuning.

Cost: Not cheap. lol. Since I did all the installation and most of the design and fab work myself, I saved a ton and the work was done right.

Last edited:

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. That is a ton of time. It certainly paid off as it looks great.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the NAVTV unit replaces the oem amp so you would need to get an aftermarket amp for the speakers along with the sub too. But if you are just getting a amp for the sub then the unit won’t work?
Yes. That is correct!

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
DH, is a DSP necessary between the NAV TV and the amps? I notice you have one. What does it offer? Are you using it as a crossover?

I also notice you have RCAs connecting them in one shot and TOS link or USB connecting them in the other. Notice any difference in performance?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new NAVTV has a built in dsp. The software will be released the end of this month. You technically don’t need a dsp with the NAVTV but Helix is known as one of the best dsp’s produced today and I wanted ultimate SQ so I spared no expense. Making a good dsp is difficult and it’s something that can make or break your system.

My crossover network is fully active so the HELIX is acting as a crossover for each channel. No analog crossovers in the system.

I went from rca to toslink because I wanted a higher input level into the helix mk2. Because the NAVTV rca output is a max of 4 volts, I was having to turn my gains up to reach a fully clipping signal. With toslink, the input gain is much higher thus I could turn my amp gains down.

Also, technically a digital signal is always a higher quality signal but I don’t know many that could tell the difference without an rta.

Last edited:

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your input. Awesome build you have put together. I would love to hear it!

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, now i have to tear my truck apart this weekend after reading this thread!!!

Of all things with these trucks being so good, the b&o stereo is just unimpressive. I came from a 16 Denali with Bose and it would blow this system away. though it looks like a simple enough upgrade. Are the factory front 6x9 speakers 2-ohm? Sorry if i missed this, my brain is mush from all the information i just took in.