DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Well its conformed, the Ford Kicker optional sub is different than the Kicker Sub-stage. The Ford / Kicker sub (Ford part number VGL3Z-18808-A) was designed to work with the auto start / stop technology and consequently is only 100 watts vs 200. I got this information from Kicker and also found some info here. https://accessories.ford.com/speaker-asy-11494.html

The kicker rep said they don't have any amps that are compatible with the auto start / stop technology in ecoboost Fords. Hmmm???
Anyone having problems with there aftermarket amps and auto start / stop technology in ecoboost Fords?

I’be been using the kenwood 300 described in my added a sub thread (predates this thread from Guy) and originally came from an F150 forum. I run with auto stop / start and have not had any negative issues so far. Unless you count bass that can shake all the mirrors...

100w is too soft.

Go big. or go home.

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured as much. Do you feel 300 watts is enough or do you think more is even better?

I did get the link to open from home. Thanks. Excited to try.

Think I may do the speakers even though I don't have the amp the 802 guys have. If the sound isn't there I can try to add an amp cabin speakers.

Would you still pick the same speakers if you knew you might have to also add an amp?

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I figured as much. Do you feel 300 watts is enough or do you think more is even better?

‘I want it louder; more power’... Quiet Riot

on the Sony / 802A, the bass gets clipped at vol setting above 25. I think with the Sony 25 w RMS at the 6 (7?) + sub - speakers, 300 is just a hair shy. I think 400 with variable gain would be great. I also wouldn’t mind a 10” sub but I wanted to keep the cost under control and not take up any more room than was already taken up.

Think I may do the speakers even though I don't have the amp the 802 guys have. If the sound isn't there I can try to add an amp cabin speakers.

Would you still pick the same speakers if you knew you might have to also add an amp?

Save yourself some time, get the amps and speakers and do the job together or you have to prolong the work agony. The pioneers are working great, and will sound better than the cheap stock speakers for sure, but you really should amp them up to get the most out of them.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along the same lines as above, I'm looking at a few potential upgrades beyond the Pioneer...possibly just replace the front 6x9, or do both that and rear door 6.5.

Anyone have any experience with the JBL GT series? I thought maybe a Harman product might be a better timbre match for the windshield tweeters, and these get good reviews for bass response. Efficient/designed for a stock upgrade, and not too expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C76YXMQ/ref=psdc_10980771_t4_B0044AFQPG

I know one person here did the JL C2...anyone else?

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-C2-690tx-6x9-Inch-Speakers-Tweeters/dp/B003633654/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513718686&sr=1-2&keywords=jl+c2

Also, on the higher end, anyone with experience with the Hertz HCX line?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044AFQPG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3DBBBDY78AIG9&colid=GB7JTVOBGFIS&psc=0

Would I need an amp to adequately drive the latter two?

TIA

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried JL, Infiniti, JBL, kicker, and Rockford Fosgate experimenting this summer.

The higher end speakers are excellent....

But they did not work well with the factory head unit. The lack of clarity and power coming out of the head unit paired up to their decreased sensitivity made for very muddy, underwhleming sound.... the Infiniti were bright but lacked midbass up front which made the system unbalanced.

The pioneer work well with the stock system because they are the loudest per watt and also because they seem to be designed for a factory head unit.

My experience was consistent with online reviews.

Good luck on your quest for audio!

Along the same lines as above, I'm looking at a few potential upgrades beyond the Pioneer...possibly just replace the front 6x9, or do both that and rear door 6.5.

Anyone have any experience with the JBL GT series? I thought maybe a Harman product might be a better timbre match for the windshield tweeters, and these get good reviews for bass response. Efficient/designed for a stock upgrade, and not too expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C76YXMQ/ref=psdc_10980771_t4_B0044AFQPG

I know one person here did the JL C2...anyone else?

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-C2-690tx-6x9-Inch-Speakers-Tweeters/dp/B003633654/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513718686&sr=1-2&keywords=jl+c2

Also, on the higher end, anyone with experience with the Hertz HCX line?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044AFQPG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3DBBBDY78AIG9&colid=GB7JTVOBGFIS&psc=0

Would I need an amp to adequately drive the latter two?

TIA

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried JL, Infiniti, JBL, kicker, and Rockford Fosgate experimenting this summer.

The higher end speakers are excellent....

But they did not work well with the factory head unit. The lack of clarity and power coming out of the head unit paired up to their decreased sensitivity made for very muddy, underwhleming sound.... the Infiniti were bright but lacked midbass up front which made the system unbalanced.

The pioneer work well with the stock system because they are the loudest per watt and also because they seem to be designed for a factory head unit.

My experience was consistent with online reviews.

Good luck on your quest for audio!

Thanks...I sort of focused on the JBL GTOs because of their touted compatibility with stock amps/wiring...3ohm impedance, 94db sensitivity. However, the set of 4 Pioneers for $85 is hard to beat.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok

So everything did come in today.

I'll probably tackle the job by the weekend.

Let you know how it goes

Guy

Are the metra mounts so they just plug in and no splicing right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Are the metra mounts so they just plug in and no splicing right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh HELL no.

both the 6x9 and 6.5 or 6.75 mounts were not quite p&p. One set you needed to drill them, both sets the hardware was incompatible; the screws/fasteners didn’t even match. I was able to mount them but not using their hardware.

Harnesses were spot on, but I think it was the fronts(?) were a little on the tight side. They will all go together and work but budget a few more minutes on each for the speaker mount.