DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCBman

Reaction score
Title

Well back to the audio shop after this Texas Raptor Run. It smells like burnt electrical wire behind my back seat something is smoking not sure what it is. I got a car full it doesnt start smoking till heavy base song comes on. Wonder what it could be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's crazy. Hope you figure it out. I found this forum on a forscan thread over on the F150 forum.

Anyway I started scrolling through and decided to pull the trigger. But not installing myself. Noticed you are in Richmond. Small world. I'm in Pecan Grove. I haven't had to do audio to a vehicle since high school (All out did it).

Which shop did you use? I have no idea where to start. Thx

Mcdonaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's crazy. Hope you figure it out. I found this forum on a forscan thread over on the F150 forum.

Anyway I started scrolling through and decided to pull the trigger. But not installing myself. Noticed you are in Richmond. Small world. I'm in Pecan Grove. I haven't had to do audio to a vehicle since high school (All out did it).

Which shop did you use? I have no idea where to start. Thx

I used the shop on 90 in Richmond good people ask for Travis. I believe they just undersized the wire and wired the amp to be on full time. A friend of a friend fixed it while I was out of town. The upgrade is definitely worth it! I haven't messed with Audio either since high school. I live over in Bridlewood 59&99 area.

- Morgan

Also man if you ever need a plumber check my company out bigstateplumbing.com gotta get a plug in lol

JCBman

Reaction score
I used the shop on 90 in Richmond good people ask for Travis. I believe they just undersized the wire and wired the amp to be on full time. A friend of a friend fixed it while I was out of town. The upgrade is definitely worth it! I haven't messed with Audio either since high school. I live over in Bridlewood 59&99 area.

- Morgan

Also man if you ever need a plumber check my company out bigstateplumbing.com gotta get a plug in lol

Ha for sure. Will do.

Oh yea nice. I've known Chance for a long time just haven't been there in forever for anything major. I thought they had stopped doing AV.

If you don't mind, around what did they charge you? Might have to PM you tomorrow to get more info.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
I did my system in my Ram 2500 CTD for $800. Just added two 10"Alpine Type S subs, custom box, amp, and took it to my local stereo for install. Sounds great

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well back to the audio shop after this Texas Raptor Run. It smells like burnt electrical wire behind my back seat something is smoking not sure what it is. I got a car full it doesnt start smoking till heavy base song comes on. Wonder what it could be...

It's the voice coils in the sub.

Turn your gain down a little bit and make sure your crossover is set to 150. Running 20hz subsonic filters is useful if you want to really push the sub as it'll filter some of the very low stuff that you can't hear but stresses the sub.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

I'm guessing when you say "rolls" earlier this is what you used?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00020CAVA/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

How many total rolls did you use for the enclosure, doors ad all speakers? I was thinking of just getting this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

One roll if you're careful will do the enclosure.

7 more rolls did the doors. You can get away with 4 for the doors if you don't cover every single bit...

Relimb11

Reaction score
Guy or somebody else that has done this mod.Can you elaborate on the tweeter access in the pillars?How do the pillars come off?Looks like 2 bolts on handle but then what?Pull or slide?

Relimb11

Reaction score
Also any idea which is the right mount for the rear 6 1/2" metra 82-5605 or metra 82-5607? I see them both listed here by Guy and Rogerdata and I've seen them listed somewhere as both effective for FRONT doors any help which is correct would be appreciated.Thanks.

rogerdata

Reaction score
Bolts then pull.
The rear doors are as I stated. If you would like a pair of the wrong ones I have a pair!
Metra 82-5605 6"- 6.75" Rear Door Speaker Adapters for 2015-Up Ford F-150 Vehicles are the correct ones!

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
alright, so Guy having sufficiently depleted my recreational funds for a while, I picked up some dynamat, and parts to accomplish this upgrade.

I actually kind of started it with Guy, I put the sub in, then Guy spent a few bills more for a full upgrade; His plan differed only by the Sub; he went with the P^^ [edit] PIONEER , I went with the Kicker. The former has more range, the latter more punch (300w @2 ohms). Since I already had the sub box modified, I opted to start here.

I pulled out the sub box.

First, I went back on my install of the sub, amp and wiring.
I have plastic sheathing unused, so I used that on the power run to the inverter power, then cleaned up the other wires to the amp. I also used a straight piece of aluminum to form a mount for the amp that is much more sturdy than previous.

Meanwhile, back at the sub box, I took my first stab at dynamat. Let me just say, it looked simple enough and it’s not rocket science but it does take some thinking and care in execution. I ended up at about 1.5 rolls to do the sub enclosure. Once I buttoned everything back up, I ran a few songs over the radio and the results were good. I can hear more bass, feel more punch from said bass, see more mirror vibrating and the quality of the bass is improved.

My plan going forward, depending on how much time I have available in the ensuing days/weeks is to tackle a set of speakers at a time, probably rear first, then front and I’ll dynamat the doors too at the same time.

Last edited: