DIY Shady Tree Whipple Install Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine will be here by the end of next week. Too bad my truck won't be here till end of October at the earliest!!!

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My SDHQ - 250amp alternator arrived. Last part I was waiting on. If you plan on doing any extra lights, fans or winches in the future now is the time to upgrade it since it is buried under the super charger.

170 amps at idle and hot. Stock puts out 60amps at idle

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found an issue with the Whipple kit.

The brackets that hold the intercooler mount to preexisting holes in the frame rails between the radiator and bumper.

It appears Ford has changed the front stampings on my 2012 from the test truck Whipple built the kit around.

In the attached picture the orange arrow hole is supposed to be the size of the blue arrow hole. The supplied thread tap and bolt are way too small. The picture in the instructions shows a frame rail with a much smaller hole and no square cut-out next to it. So Ford made a change there somewhere down the line.

This is fine for me since I am making a custom bracket for my oversized AFCO heat exchanger, but something that needs to be watched for.

whipbrackethole.jpg

Reaction score
Make sure you get the wires behind the blower routed up high. When you slide the blower on they can contact the intercooler hose on the passenger side and make the bolt back there impossible to put on. I bought a small chrome snapon swivel socket and a 10 piece 1/4 extension set just for that 1 bolt. I hate that damn bolt! No way to properly torque some of those bolts either. I have a relatively small snapon techwrench and couldn't get it on a couple of them. Hope you have fun installing that thing!

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Found an issue with the Whipple kit.

The brackets that hold the intercooler mount to preexisting holes in the frame rails between the radiator and bumper.

It appears Ford has changed the front stampings on my 2012 from the test truck Whipple built the kit around.

In the attached picture the orange arrow hole is supposed to be the size of the blue arrow hole. The supplied thread tap and bolt are way too small. The picture in the instructions shows a frame rail with a much smaller hole and no square cut-out next to it. So Ford made a change there somewhere down the line.

This is fine for me since I am making a custom bracket for my oversized AFCO heat exchanger, but something that needs to be watched for.

whipbrackethole.jpg

That cutout is there to accept a clip nut that would slip though the square hole and come up behind the round hole.

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That cutout is there to accept a clip nut that would slip though the square hole and come up behind the round hole.

Learned something new. Should make for an easy fix for Whipple then. they just need to add a clip nut and bolt to the kit and tell you to see what frame version you have and use appropriate mounting method.

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after digging through the mess of a grab bag of nuts and bolts whipple gives you (thumbs down whipple), I found they did provide the needed clip nuts for those holes. They just forgot to mention it in the supplied instructions (thumbs down whipple).

whip2.jpg

So I mounted the stock heat exchanger brackets in the stock location.

I mounted the water pump to the passenger bracket and will make another bracket on the other side of the pump to a hole in the frame rail directly below. you can see it in the attached picture.

whip3.jpg

whip4.jpg

The AFCO heat exchanger will mount to the stock brackets, I just need to take it up to my welder and have the brackets moved on the heat exchanger

I am also welding a AN-16 (1") male **** to the bottom of the stock Whipple reservoir and will run a 1" feed down to the pump. ( That 180* -16 fitting you see on the pump was not cheap )

System will run 1" from reservoir to pump, 3/4" from pump to HE, 3/4" from HE to intercooler and then the stock Whipple 5/8" line from the intercooler back to the reservoir.