How To DIY SDHQ Knuckle Gusset Writup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Sounds to me like @t_j will be doing mine when the time comes!

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
@t_j is possibly setting up some group days where he will get a few people at a time and do a few sets of spindles in a day. Depending on what my setup is going to look like in the next few months (possibly fabricated spindle) i might join in and give him a hand and to meet up with the locals... @Jimbo

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having done both outlaw and sdhq kits I will say:

* The SDHQ one is easier to install, some of the angles created by the outlaw kit are tricky to get to

* The SDHQ kit required less finishing before installing

* The some of the SDHQ kits had quite a lot of surface rust on them when they arrived, a little more oil after cutting would have been great.

* The outlaw kit had some quite large gaps that needed bridging during the welding process

* The outlaw kit is twice as thick as the sdhq kit

* The outlaw kit is only a single piece so a theoretically a little easier to install however due to the tight nature of some the welds they end up taking just as long.

* The outlaw kit had cracks at the top of both gussets from being bent

So after all that the kit I personally prefer to install is the SDHQ one.

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shit I'll just send you mine lol. Any new tips. Have you tried to mig a set yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shit I'll just send you mine lol. Any new tips. Have you tried to mig a set yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I would mig them. I upgraded my torch to a 200a air cooled for the last 5 sets and still had some torch heat issues at 135a. I feel mig won't give you enough heat control to get good results as you have to spend far longer putting heat into the knuckle than the gusset. The last few sets I did use a mig rig to tack them in place but that's all it was tig after that.