How To DIY Painted Edges on Taillights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BarryT82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started this mod today and the paint isn't sticking to all of the areas. It won't stick to the numbers at the bottom and various spots. I've tried sanding the areas and cleaning them, but haven't had any luck.

BarryT82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got fed up with the Testors paint and removed it all. I went to a local PPG dealer and bought some some that makes paint adhere to plastic and some gloss black trim paint that works on plastic. The first coat is on now and looks good. Make sure you buy some tar and grease remover to remove any excess wax that may have gotten into the taillights and some 400 grit sand paper to rough up the plastic a little.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Mine is all done!! Best looking mod ive done in a long time!! I used the matte black universal touch up paint to paint mine. I got it at auto zone. It should be at any other place too....

BarryT82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After trying different types of paint with no luck I found one that covers well, dries fast, and is strong. Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. It comes in black and costs about $5 a can.

IPvFletch

Reaction score
FWIW, you can get syringes (for FREE) from like CVS or Walgreens in the Pharmacy section. I asked and they just gave me a couple for free. Couldn't believe it!

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet you could also use the sharpie paint markers. They have worked for me great in my past experiences.

Method NV/37's
Boatec front and Rear fenders
Rigid dually's in fogs
FOR NOW!
usageda3.jpgysazahu6.jpg
se8y8aba.jpg

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FWIW, you can get syringes (for FREE) from like CVS or Walgreens in the Pharmacy section. I asked and they just gave me a couple for free. Couldn't believe it!

I'm not sure where you live but my cvs looked at me like they were about to call the cops. I ended up taking a infant medicine thing, sticking a paper clip in the end, and melting the tip down to a nice point.

I'm willing to bet you could also use the sharpie paint markers. They have worked for me great in my past experiences.

You need something very fine. That's why a syringe is preferable. There are spots where that's the only thing that could get into the crack and deposit the paint.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Idt it'd be realistic to pull it out. Some of the edges are so tight that once you put something in there, it's not coming out. Only benefit would be if it got on the exposed side of the lens. I had a few runs but as long as you wipe them right away they're no problem.