GEN 2 DIY oil changes / factory warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The long run oil intervals has been debunked long ago.

The German manufacturers were pushing 15k intervals with “full synthetic”... primarily to save them on their free and purchased maintenance programs.

It’s not that the oil breaks down or that the metal wear is an issue... it’s the sludge buildup in the engine. Your oil analysis won’t show that.

I have purchased many high mileage BMWs of the years and sludge buildup is always evident unless you find an owner who changed the oil more frequently. They have now lowered the intervals to 10k.

If you’re not going to own the vehicle long, then it’s the next guys problem... if thats your gig. Otherwise stick with 5k - 10k.

I wouldn’t push turbo engine oil to far past 5k. That’s some pretty high RPM sheering and super high temps.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The German manufacturers were pushing 15k intervals with “full synthetic”... primarily to save them on their free and purchased maintenance programs.

It’s not that the oil breaks down or that the metal wear is an issue... it’s the sludge buildup in the engine. Your oil analysis won’t show that.

I have purchased many high mileage BMWs of the years and sludge buildup is always evident unless you find an owner who changed the oil more frequently. They have now lowered the intervals to 10k.

If you’re not going to own the vehicle long, then it’s the next guys problem... if thats your gig. Otherwise stick with 5k - 10k.

I wouldn’t push turbo engine oil to far past 5k. That’s some pretty high RPM sheering and super high temps.

That’s the best advice right there.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been doing my own oil changes on my Gen 1 and now Gen 2. I write the date, mileage, oil and filter details in my owners manual. Never had a dealership question it. I use Mobil 1 and the recommended Motorcraft filter and complete every 3k miles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Bad advice. Here is a video that DEBUNKS your claims. No sludge buildup and no wear on bearings and cam shafts on a EcoBoost engine with 100k.

Oil does break down. The TBN and viscosity numbers will look quite different after you put 10-15k on the oil. Why? Because it’s what they are designed to do!

AMSOIL offers superior protection for turbo applications. You will have no problems running the oil 10-15k (and maybe longer depending on driving conditions).

I use Oil Analyzers, which offers pre-paid labels like Blackstone.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hand write services on last page of owners manual, record in an app. Do not keep receipts. NEVER in my 32 years of car ownership have i been asked to produce an oil change receipt.

The mechanics know either way if you do the required maintenance or not.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Changing it at 10k intervals is easy to remember and will be early enough to insure the oil has not went bad (better be early than late).

or.....just use the freaking indicator on the dash that tells you when to change your oil.

i do mine some time between 10% and 25%

D

Deleted member 17706

or.....just use the freaking indicator on the dash that tells you when to change your oil.

i do mine some time between 10% and 25%

If you want to know how your oil is performing and have markers for your engine, then oil analysis is the way to go.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad advice. Here is a video that DEBUNKS your claims. No sludge buildup and no wear on bearings and cam shafts on a EcoBoost engine with 100k.

Oil does break down. The TBN and viscosity numbers will look quite different after you put 10-15k on the oil. Why? Because it’s what they are designed to do!

AMSOIL offers superior protection for turbo applications. You will have no problems running the oil 10-15k (and maybe longer depending on driving conditions).

I use Oil Analyzers, which offers pre-paid labels like Blackstone.

Keep buying that Amsoil...
And believing their promos.

Always thought of it as a snake oil type of thing. Why not go mainstream with the product if it’s so good?

If you pay 3-4 times the price and go twice as long... you’re still loosing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Keep buying that Amsoil...
And believing their promos.

Always thought of it as a snake oil type of thing. Why not go mainstream with the product if it’s so good?

If you pay 3-4 times the price and go twice as long... you’re still loosing.

Lol this is why I noted your advice as bad advice because you don’t care about facts. You only care about what YOU think is right.

Yes, I will keep buying AMSOIL. Why? Because the performance is there. I have my oils tested by an independent lab. The scientific data is what influences what I purchase—not promo videos. And I would encourage anybody else to do the same. I don’t recommend anyone to blindly hold to a set of beliefs without first testing whether such beliefs are warranted.

AMSOIL is not the only good oil on the market and I always phrase my language to accommodate that fact. As you can see in this thread, I never said AMSOIL is the one and only true oil. In fact, I even recommended oil service intervals 10-15k BELOW their 25k recommendation. Why? Because I know what the science has shown on my oil tests. I highly recommend AMSOIL because my vehicles run great after YEARS of use. But I do not look down on others, who choose to run other brands.

Premium products hardly never become mainstream. People are too pragmatic and only care about costs—you seem to fit this mold since you in some way feel superior to me (and others) because you are paying 3-4 times less on oil. Quite frankly, I don’t know why you subjected price into the discussion. No one had mentioned it. It really has no bearing on this discussion. If you look at annual protection full synthetics (good for up to a year or 20,000 miles), then AMSOIL Signature Series is slightly more than its competitors. By no means is it 3-4 times the price of a competitor’s product.