DIY Naturally Aspirated 6.2L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bubblehead93

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I woud strongly suggest to t-gauge the bores of your block. I decent t-gauge can be purchased with a convexed head for around $300.00. Not all block castings are the same. Most decent machine shops have a least 1 so ask. It will only take about 5 minutes to check all the bores.

Adder T-gauge = electronic thickness tester
fully agree...

OP
OP
bubblehead93

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cams on their way to DCR for re-grind, parts are starting to trickle in (head studs so far), emphasis on trickle; Cody Dawson is working a set of heads for me, but a bunch of stuff is in production or awaiting drop shipment from the manufacturer (i.e. ARP main studs and Manley for connecting rods)... hopefully pistons in mid-September...

In the mean time I'm going to backfit a gen2 raptor steering wheel on to my gen1 using the EPP's kit and some OEM parts... its all about the paddle shift...

akley88

Reaction score
ill be following this build as well. I just picked up a short block to build. building for boost but i like to see these unique builds.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooooo... Domey! Whats the compression ratio going to work out to on those?

Edit- nvrmind. See you're shooting for 11:1 static. I'd be interested in the dynamic compression once you know the cam specs (obviously this varies with VVT). Knowing what it is with the cams at a few angles will give you a good indication of how it'll act with what fuel you have available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bubblehead93

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night weighed all the pistons and wrist pins and matched lightest pistons with heaviest wrist pins and then weighed each as a set... all within 0.2 grams of each other, one piston/pin set will drive most of the grinding, talking with Diamond to see if they can find me a wrist pin close to 135 grams then they would all be within 0.1 grams of each other... we'll see... unfortunately still waiting on the rods and main studs... but hopefully soon...

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey B.. Are you keeping a build sheet with part numbers and cost? Just curious as I will likely be headed this direction after this truck gets back from Baja in November.
Also, what is the expectation from the cams? Not sure if I missed it, but is the regrind capable of running VVT or is the phaser locked out?

Z

OP
OP
bubblehead93

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be able to run VVT or worse case just a phase limiter... no interest in locked out for a N/A application.

I will absolutely keep a build sheet and part numbers. I'll post periodically... this is not a cost effective build from a HP per $ perspective... but it will be fun to build and the result will be pretty unique... I'm an old FE motor guy, so a 390+ CUI motor is a magic number to me...

OP
OP
bubblehead93

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_20210905_155832912.jpg

balancing some pistons... Slow and steady...

Update: Mission complete balancing pistons, pistons and wrist pin assemblies all 626.4 grams (+/- 0.02 grams). Target was to get them within 0.1 grams of each other. On average I had to remove 0.14 grams from six of the pistons. In any event, one task done. DCR is working the cams. Cody Dawson has started working the heads. Still waiting on Manley to ship the connecting rods. Slowly coming together.

Last edited: