DIY - Lowrance HDS 7 Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought I share how I installed my Lowrance GPS. A note to new people reading, like modifying your rig there is more than one solution. Pick the one you like best.

I used all the Lowrance parts as the outlaw mount I was sent did not have any hardware. Either solution works so pick your preference.

Hardware used was 1" 1/4 machine screw, nuts and washers. And two 18-20 gauge wire taps.

00-lowrance(1).jpg

00-lowrance(2).jpg

Remove the upper tray by lifting up the ruber mat and then remove the 2 1/4 inch screw in the back. Then lift the tray out. Once the tray is out mach up the lowrance mount to your liking and then mark the 4 holes.

00-lowrance(3).jpg

00-lowrance(4).jpg

00-lowrance(5).jpg

Once you have the holes marked, drill them out. Drill press not needed but if you have one just is easier. You can test fit and make sure things line up. You will need to also drill two cable holes for the power line and the Nema 2000 line (you will not use this). Once your happy tighten everything down.

00-lowrance(6).jpg

00-lowrance(7).jpg

00-lowrance(8).jpg

00-lowrance(9).jpg

Test the lengths of the power wire to make sure you have enough to connect to the GPS. Once you do you can zip tie the Nema 2000 wire.

00-lowrance(10).jpg

00-lowrance(11).jpg

Now you are ready to install the base unit. You will need to remove your glove box which is 3 1/4 inch screws at the bottom. Remove these and slide the glove box out. Next reach up to the back of the cigarette lighter and remove the plug. There is a small tab you press that faces the passenger side. Once this is remove cut off the plastic cover so you can access the two wires. You will tap the wire matching colors. (NOTE) these you will need to strip the power and ground wires from the GPS leads to make contact. The prongs on these don't bite through the casing very well.

00-lowrance(13).jpg

Now you can reassemble everything. Once you are done you should have something like this or to your taste.

00-lowrance(14).jpg

00-lowrance(15).jpg

00-lowrance(16).jpg

00-lowrance(17).jpg

Power it on to make sure your connections are secure. Enjoy.

00-lowrance(18).jpg

00-lowrance(19).jpg

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dose note move a MM. Tested it yesterday on a trail run which is posted in trip reports. Video shows it mounted and glips of the trail. Lovelock trail report

This basically mounts the same as Outlaw and RPG. Difference is it looks I think more factory as well as does not stick out as far. But as stated it is all personal preference.

I also can remove the GPS in about 20 seconds and store it in the house when I am not on the trail. All you have to do is use unscrew the 2 side nob screws and unplug it. Then you just have the two short posts so you can see out your window again.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Dose note move a MM. Tested it yesterday on a trail run which is posted in trip reports. Video shows it mounted and glips of the trail. Lovelock trail report

This basically mounts the same as Outlaw and RPG. Difference is it looks I think more factory as well as does not stick out as far. But as stated it is all personal preference.

I also can remove the GPS in about 20 seconds and store it in the house when I am not on the trail. All you have to do is use unscrew the 2 side nob screws and unplug it. Then you just have the two short posts so you can see out your window again.

Very cool. That was going to be my question, I'd hate to leave that advertised and ready for someone to take.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question. I had the same concern in "is it close enough". I went with the theory how much will I need to hit buttons on trail?

In the entire day I was on trail, every time I did want to flag something or change something it was in reach with no problem. My wife is 5' 4" and she moved the passenger seat forward a little and is able to reach the screen.

So for me I like this setup as well as having the ability to remove it. As noted this is one of many options out there to install a GPS. I was looking at the system that was a no drill option but opped for this way.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You just tapped the cigarette lighter? Mine came with an inline fuse holder. I plan on leaving the wires and then swapping out my center tray.

One tray with Gps and radio. One stock center speaker tray.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes I just tapped the lighter. That is all you need but there is more than one ay to do the install.