Ditch (A-Pillar) light wire routing...looking for help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm working on wiring up my ditch lights, and I have the lights mounted, and the @Specialtyperformanceparts wiring harness goes from one of the upfitter switch wires, up near the hood hinge on the passenger side, and then I have it routed through the cowl over to the other side. So far so good! But now I can't figure out a good way to get the wire connectors over to the other side (outside) of the hood hinge. I'm afraid it's going to get pinched. Am I doing something wrong? I couldn't see a good way to run the wire from the light on the inside of the hinge, as that will basically be running it up along the hood, and then every time I open the hood, the wires will move. So, I have the wire coming from the light, tucked under the rubber seal on the cowl, running on the outside of the hinge, and then it goes just above where the big hole above the rear of the front fender is. (Side note: don't accidentally drop a flashlight down that hole...it's not horrible to have to pull the fender flare off, and then pry the fender liner back a bit, but it sure makes you feel stupid while you're doing it! :rolleyes:).

Here is a picture...not sure how much help it really is, but you can see the wiring harness coming from near the battery, and the 3-way Weather Pack connector that I need to get over to the outside of the hinge (it has the red, white, and black wire going to it). I've drawn a green arrow showing where the wire is that is coming from the light (the connector is just out of view behind the hood, above the hole), and the orange arrow shows the hood hinge, and how I've got to get from one side of it to the other.

Any suggestions, or is anyone willing to show me what their wiring looks like so I can see how the wires are routed? Thanks!

IMG_9384.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You’re interrupting Bourbon Hour !
img_1974-jpg.287689

Rabbit Hole wheated bourbon is up tonight.

That’s an older pic of Lucille, before the XL80’s and new shoes. I took a quick look and you’re right, don’t run the wires through that hole.

IMG_4894.jpg

I’ll try to provide some context here. XL80’s drop a harness wire you can see connected here, on the passenger side. I zip tied to the mount- Alt Offroad mounts, FWIW. The zip tie is solely to keep the wiring in a position favorable to the slight gap between hood and insulation. As you can see, I am running inside the hood bracket to a connection to battery ground and up fitter. The driver’s side light follows the loom and grayish black ground wire headed to the right in this pic. I used screw in connectors to keep the wire attached to the firewall.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @smurfslayer So, from what I can tell in the picture (not the distillery picture...hahah), the connector coming from your XL80s just kinda hangs out in the air, and as you open/close the hood, it will move around, right? So you just have extra slack in the wires which allows all of that to move, right? Did you take that picture for me last night, or was that a picture you already had of the wiring? If you just took it, would you mind taking a new one now that it's daylight, maybe showing it from a different angle? I can't quite see how you've got it wrapped around the edge of the hood, past the bracket, etc.

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Swaddict, I think that's basically what I'm going to do. I need to extend a couple wires, but should be relatively simple!