Disturbing picture of my Raptor after going through a tornado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Raptor = replaceable asset.

You + daughter: Not so much.

I’m glad you’re posting this, because it means you survived and if this is the worst thing that happened that day, that’s freakin’ awesome.

I’ve been in some pretty serious, heavy thunderstorms, and been caught in hail twice. Never a twister. I’ve seen nickel sized hail, but remember half dollar sized hail as a kid - my mom froze some of the hail stones.

I’ve never seen hail damage like your truck. All the panels, doors, fenders I can envision can be replaced / repainted but what about the roof?

If the truck could talk it would probably be with a great deal of pride in weathering that storm.

Tough to say whether it will be totaled but everything is cosmetic as @Sage said. I know I’d have a hard time parting with that truck if it were mine.

good luck!

OP
OP

98slowbra

Reaction score
This was baseball size hail so the truck kept us alive, I was worried for my daughter she is only 18 and she was scared out of her mind, I kept my cool and told her that it will be ok we are in a Raptor it will take the damage for us and we will make it through. I had to keep calm and the whole storm with both tornado's we were in it for 1/2 hour, the longest 1/2 hour of my life. The only part that needs replaced is the roof, passenger side door and the door after that and the passenger side bed side and the tail gate. The drivers side did not get touched and the hood and front fenders did not get hit.

jcj02

Reaction score
All I do is claims

Why would you not want it totalled? Just buy another one
Most think they are being treated so good when an insurance company fixes their truck/car. "They show up and write me a check." Well thats their job, thats why we pay premiums. Its not a favor. The favor would be they recognize that you have deminished value beyond the damages. Or you need the rental car during repairs and, if truck is totaled, you need to be paid for the time it will take to find another vehicle for exact same price. Thats going above and beyond. So keep this in mind when you see how you are treated.

Things to keep in mind.
Your insurance company 100% will try to do whatever is best for them.
If they total it, try to buy it back if this particular one means so much.
If you plan to ever sell it, the next buyer will most likely see that a claim was done on it and the amount of repairs will show up on a carfax. Would you more likely buy a clean title, never touched truck or one that had thousands of dollars worth of work to it.
In my opinion, any repairs of this magnitude, deminish the value in some sort of way. So even when they just "repair" your truck, they arent going to give you, without asking and insisting, an additional check for diminished value.

Generally I would try to buy it back for a percentage of the value, dont even fix it, drive it as a course truck and use the insurance money to purchase another vehicle.

Good luck with the claim. Very glad you all were safe and hope you end up not being another bad faith claim victim.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought about this on the way to work today.

All I do is claims

Why would you not want it totalled? Just buy another one
Most think they are being treated so good when an insurance company fixes their truck/car. "They show up and write me a check." Well thats their job, thats why we pay premiums. Its not a favor. The favor would be they recognize that you have deminished value beyond the damages. Or you need the rental car during repairs and, if truck is totaled, you need to be paid for the time it will take to find another vehicle for exact same price. Thats going above and beyond. So keep this in mind when you see how you are treated.

Things to keep in mind.
Your insurance company 100% will try to do whatever is best for them.
If they total it, try to buy it back if this particular one means so much.
If you plan to ever sell it, the next buyer will most likely see that a claim was done on it and the amount of repairs will show up on a carfax. Would you more likely buy a clean title, never touched truck or one that had thousands of dollars worth of work to it.
In my opinion, any repairs of this magnitude, deminish the value in some sort of way. So even when they just "repair" your truck, they arent going to give you, without asking and insisting, an additional check for diminished value.

Generally I would try to buy it back for a percentage of the value, dont even fix it, drive it as a course truck and use the insurance money to purchase another vehicle.

Good luck with the claim. Very glad you all were safe and hope you end up not being another bad faith claim victim.

Appreciate the insight, makes sense.

I know what I'd do if it was me though. After what it went through, sentimental value. And the only damage I'm seeing subject to #RaptorTax is the RH bedside and taillight; everything else is standard F150 fare and shouldn't be ridiculous to replace/refurbish. I'd buy it back if the option was there, if not take the check and replace the taillight and rear window myself, have a body shop do what they can on the roof (around here they will farm out some parts to paintless dent pullers; a fancy name for suction cup, of which you could also try yourself as there are kits on amazon that may or may not work) and replace the passenger side doors...and give it to my daughter for a graduation/off to college/whatever gift. I'd also have some vynil die cut decals made either in white for the back window or flat black on the bedsides:
re-inc-twister-5ac0ca2a6b6b93.04979677152258410644.jpg

But that's just me...

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I went to go see my mother in the hospital so it was a 9 hour drive, on the way home me and my 18 year old daughter got caught right in the middle of 2 tornado's in Brush Colorado with my Raptor. It was so bad before we pulled over a semi trailer started to get pushed into our lane and missed my truck by inches then we pulled over and the tornado went over us, it blew out my back window and a ton of hail damage. We found out later there were 3 tornado's by us. Now the drivers side did not get touched and the front clip is fine but the passenger side door and back door and back and roof is dented all to hell. With my Raptor being a 2013 fully loaded with 54k miles will it be totaled or what. What you are about to see hurts me very bad, this was my baby, me and my daughter are fine but my Raptor did not make it through ok, so will it be totaled or not, please give me your honest opinion. I only owe $15k on my Raptor right now. I was glad I was in the Raptor, the hood, and front fenders and drivers side are still perfect, this truck is fully loaded also.

It held up nice. What's the status on your truck and the insurance?

Memphis Ken

Reaction score
Glad to hear that you and your daughter are both okay, that of course is the most important thing! I just bought a 2018 Raptor and have no idea if the aluminium body on mine would even come close to withstanding what yours went through.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that it would be totaled. I had a 99 Esky that took hail damage, twice (back to back years) after it was 10 years old. And it was never once totaled. It's amazing how they can fix hail damage these days. It's an art form.

@98slowbra
As for the hood and front fenders, you don't see the damage because they are fiberglass. The hail bounced off w/ out leaving a dent. Fiber doesn't dent, it cracks. You should look underneath. Look very closely to see if there are any sort of hairline spider cracks. There may be hidden damage.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you and your daughter are both okay, that of course is the most important thing! I just bought a 2018 Raptor and have no idea if the aluminium body on mine would even come close to withstanding what yours went through.

I doubt it will which stinks about the trucks being aluminum.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, hope you're doing ok and curious about your outcome. My guess is that damage wouldn't total the vehicle.

I had a 2014 screw which was recently in an accident where I got rearended at a fairly high rate of speed and the truck was totaled by the insurance company. The frame was bent, the bed bent up, tailgate pushed in, front was damaged from a chain reaction, etc. From what I understand a lot of the decision to total it was due to the higher cost and limited availability of Raptor specific parts that would have been needed to repair my truck. That might not be the case in your situation.