GEN 2 Display screen delayed response

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DS550

Reaction score
I have noticed that the screen doesn’t always respond to touch commands or there is just a delayed reaction. Display from the volume or temperature knob is also a delayed response. It seems to be better if the Apple Car Play is activated, but the car play only activates after a few re-plugging actions. The most frustrating part is when I select a channel, the screen re-programs my new selection to the channel I was switching from...now I have two of the same. Very frustrating.

Anyone else experience this issue?

BMY2020

Reaction score
I have noticed this same delay exactly as you describe. I haven't experienced the channel programming though. What I do get frustrated with aside from delay is the fact that the truck seems to have no idea what audio source to look for at start up. Sometimes it goes to XM, some times audio is off, sometimes FM, rarely it gets it right and pulls up my phone via bluetooth connection (what gets used the most) but then it plays iTunes instead of Spotify (which is the player I use). Not sure what to do about all this, makes me wonder if my head unit needs to be replaced.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Welcome to Sync 3...

I think there’s an update for our system that supposedly helps. When I’m about drop the truck off for the next oil change I’m going to ask about the update. Maybe I can leave the truck for a couple of hours on a Saturday and have all of it done at the same time?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My observation:

Have realistic expectations and do what you can to set the truck’s computer up for success. Sync software only has so much processing power to play with, and that processing power is probably 2-3 years old by the time the truck is new. I’m sure they periodically upgrade, but we’re not talking about massive upgrades here.

if you’re shutting down with the bluetooth connected phone, start up is going to have to search for and find that phone successfully. The software for sure has a timeout and as you have observed a ‘default’ player. What if the truck doesn’t discover the b/t device(s) ?

I try to shut down on FM at home, when I’m not going to drive again for an extended period - a day or more, because over the 4 years of ownership I’ve encountered some weird things.

shut down on XM and you can start up and immediately go into an XM update, from which you cannot change source or channels. Shut down in xm with no signal, like in a parking garage, and sometimes you can’t change source or channel either and, as a bonus, once you acquired the signal, channel can only be changed to itself no matter what until you cycle the ignition.

CarPlay? yeah... too much hassle honestly. Nice to have as a backup but there are a few idiosyncrasies that make using it less enjoyable.

Slow to respond? Who here remembers sync 2.1 ? My Rap came with that version, and it would drop bluetooth routinely.

Grass is greener? Yeah... I don’t think so. I just shopped a few vehicles before picking up the wife’s Lincoln, and they’re different for sure, some do things right and have deficiencies, others do most things average. I’ll say that Sync does some things better than competitors and has a few deficiencies that could be addressed, but they’re not major.

I find that if you let the truck start, wait for enough time for the truck to attain GPS satellite signal ; and be ready for navigation, you can engage remote audio source more quickly. Usually you’re ready to navigate in about 30 seconds. If this bugs you, I can easily remember Garmin units that routinely took 2 minutes to acquire satellites and be ready to roll.