Discount tire with my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who runs locking lug nuts these days? Anyone going out to steal wheels will have a locking lug nut remover with them.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really? The top image is the actual bead lock device as sold over the counter by Ford used in a true bead lock application. If yours don't look like this you have the standard factory "bead lock" trim ring (bottom image) which cannot be used in a true bead lock application. Note 24 holes per bead lock vs 12 in the trim ringZH9fEw.jpg

He's drives Alphas and Mercs- it's not surprising he has no clue.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP...sorry for your hassle. The factory lug nuts have soft “shells”. Ford will give you new ones, but even at free they are not worth putting on. Use the Gorilla lugs and you will be happier.

Even the Gorilla lug nuts will deform over a number of cycles off taking off and putting on. Consider them as “wear out service parts” which you just replace from time to time.

If the weights are still off of your wheels, consider replacing them with these balance beads. I’ve had the beads on my ‘18 Raptor for 40k miles now and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01991X4AI/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Finally get yourself a torque wrench and torque your own lug nuts.

Best...

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really? Your Avatar pic shows a Magnetic 2019 with factory 'beadlock capable' wheels and standard beadlock trim rings. The top image is the actual bead lock device as sold over the counter by Ford used in a true bead lock application. If yours don't look like this you have the standard factory "bead lock" trim ring (bottom image) which cannot be used in a true bead lock application. Note 24 holes per bead lock vs 12 in the trim ring. The true bead lock ring is substantially thicker and more robust.
They were off when I took the picture back in sept while they were getting power coated.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all!! Looking for some advise. The day after thanksgiving in AZ to visit family from CA i went to discount tire to buy a new set of KO2s. First they snapped one of my locking lugs and they made me drive it to a shop to have it removed. The shop had to drill out my stud and replace it. But in the process they tried to use an air hammer to remove it and it destroyed my beadlock capable rim. Once i made it back to discount tire they said they would buy me a new rim. Obviously i was a little upset but sometimes shit happens. I asked the manager if he could over see them installing my rims back on and verify the kids torquing my lugs. Shortly i look over and ask a kid why is he using a hammer to hammer the socket on to my lugs? He said his sockets wont fit. I found the manager again and told him what is going on and told him his employees destroyed all my lugs. He told me he would buy me new lugs. Still a little upset i told him ok but can he personally check the toque on them as i didnt trust his employees. He said he did. I left shortly after to drive back to California. 2 days later i have to drive to San Diego which is 3 hrs one way for work. On the way back from SanDiego I started to notice my truck felt it was shifting strangely i pulled over and noticed two lug nuts were missing. I slowly drove to o Riley and bought a set of lug nuts as i was about to take off the rest of the old ones I noticed they were extremely loose! I then checked all the lugs and i was able to to unscrew them all by hand. Long story short i called the company and told them what happed and i could of died. Then told them some of the damage it caused. All my wheel weights were missing and the missing lugS dented the other rim, rotor damage ect. They said their insurance company would contact me. They never did. I took me calling 6 times and having USAA call them to scare them a bit for them to contact me back. They told me to take it to the dealership and give them a work up for the repairs. I did and it is still currently there waiting for review. My question is should I continue to play along or do you all think i should sue?

Sheesh, sorry for the hassle. But one of the requirements that you have to prove when suing is damages. The other stuff like “I could have died” isn’t worth anything because you didn’t die. I don’t see your claim being worth enough to hire a lawyer, whose fees you will have to front with no guarantee that you’ll recover despite the confidence exuded by our Raptor Forum internet law experts. However, if you are getting no where with DT, perhaps explore Small Claims court as an option. You’ll likely have to file it in AZ since that’s where the claim arose. And I get this question a lot: no, you cannot sue for the time and inconvenience of having to sue. In some states, you can recoup attorney’s fee—if you hire one.