GEN 1 Disappointed in my new Fox 2.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got a full set off of Rock Auto about 6 months ago and I could not tell a difference between the factory takeoffs. If they are indeed knock offs then they are very good ones.

OP
OP
R

robinthepilot

Reaction score
They are not knock offs. Absolutely identical down to sticker thickness and the motomaster boxes they come in have identical markings to the ones bought direct from the dealer.

Can someone tell me if king or any of the other good shock manufacturers use the plastic protective cap that goes around the shaft to protect the seals. I find that the cap is hard and any dirt that gets between it and shaft ruins the shaft. This happens more readily if it is leaking and the dirt sticks to the oil and gets ground into the shaft by the plastic.

PNWlife

Reaction score
Interested in this as well, I'm at 80k on the originals and in dire need of replacing / rebuild. The truck isn't my daily driver so this hasn't been much of a priority, but I need to figure this out.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, pretty sure I saw another person complaining in one of the FB about this too recently.

That's a bummer if RA has a few bad shocks sitting around.

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha great just saw this thread and a little late as I am getting ready to change out mine all the way around with new front and rears that I bought from rock auto over a year ago. They looked 100% legit NOS banded up and in their original motor craft boxes. One of the rears developed a small leak last year after I unboxed it and then stopped. I had called Fox at the time and they asked if it were leaking from the seal around the shaft or on the edge of the bottom plate at the shock body. He said sometimes they possibly could be over filled from the factory and it could leak at the bottom of the body but it definitely should not be leaking at the shaft at all.

He also didn’t like to hear that I bought them from RA and told me something like Ford and Fox have a arrangement that the OEM shocks are only sold through Ford dealers. And that he can’t say if mine were actually rebuilt or knock offs or whatever. Which I doubt all that and the shocks are brand new in my eyes so I wasn’t worried about that but whatever now I am really leery of putting them in.

d9a3c42c99878bcf3db698316de0cae7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ha, mine last less then that.

Were did you buy them from,
I bought mine from Ford now I need two new ones for the front and I only have 35,000 miles all street.
This will be the third set.
This time I'm going to send the second set of fronts to Fox and let rebuild and upgrade them.

You could have bought good 3.0's for the cost of those 3 sets.
My 13 had 40,000 hard miles with zero leaks on the first Gen 3.0
My 14 has 10,000 miles and 1 oil/nitrogen service on the latest DSC version, same seals, just new fluids.... still going strong no leaks

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could have bought good 3.0's for the cost of those 3 sets.
My 13 had 40,000 hard miles with zero leaks on the first Gen 3.0
My 14 has 10,000 miles and 1 oil/nitrogen service on the latest DSC version, same seals, just new fluids.... still going strong no leaks

I hear ya, but two were under warranty so I've spent enough to buy a set of just front 3.0 with DSC.

One day if I hit the Lotto I will do a complete full long travel suspension and fiber glass, even though I don't need it, LOL

I'm actually retired now as of this month, now I just need to get out of this ****** extreme left ******** state of NY, more NYC, upstate I can still tolerate.

Last edited:

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
I hear ya, but two were under warranty so I've spent enough to buy a set of just front 3.0 with DSC.

One day if I hit the Lotto I will do a complete full long travel suspension and fiber glass, even though I don't need it, LOL

I'm actually retired now as of this month, now I just need to get out of this ****** extreme left ******** state of NY, more NYC, upstate I can still tolerate.
We left in 1976...I was just a teenager at that time, but I’m glad we never looked back. Now I dread every time I drive through to get to Maine. One trip I even went from Pittsburg PA straight up and through Canada just to avoid NY, CT, and MA all in one shot!