Disable Voltage Regulating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RATRODIN

Reaction score
I would highly recommend you do not try and disable the voltage regulator. It is there to keep the battery from overcharging. This will lead to excessive leaking of acid and if overcharged enough the battery could explode.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have voltmeters on my amp that were watched while reving, never saw higher than 12.5 / 12.7v

Incriminator IX 4.1 and 12.4

I have 2 XS power XP 3000 batteries in the bed.
Nice, running a Sundown Audio SALT-6 and SALT 200.4....battery in the bed also.

Attachments

• ttt5.jpg
    ttt5.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 20
  • bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 20

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I "think" when you disable auto stop/start with forscan it does away with smart charging, if we're talking about the same thing. Seems like I read it on here.

I diabled the stop/start after a month or so of ownership, battery was still going 3.5 years later, but was cranking a little slow so I replaced it.

Maybe someone will be along to tell me I am wrong. Might be worth checking out though.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne Not to highjack this thread but just out of curiosity is it normal to see voltage drop to 12.5v on the dash display at times with this voltage regulator system.

I’ve done a ripple test and battery test. I’ve noted that it seems like on occasion the IC is up to about .5v off what the battery/ripple tester showed.
Normal. The system will regulate voltage to minimize parasitic drag on the engine. So under a load the voltage will tend to be lower.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would think there is something wrong with your alternator. I have 3 batteries connected in my boat for a 36 volt system and when charging they get 13.5 to 13.7 volts from the charger. Maybe have someone rev the engine while checking the voltage on your battery.
The voltage regulator is directly controlled by the PCM through 2 communication circuits; the PCM will vary charging voltage based on conditions.

OP
OP
Gibsonm21

Gibsonm21

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nice, running a Sundown Audio SALT-6 and SALT 200.4....battery in the bed also.
I went incriminator to save space. I can fit the 6.1 and still have space behind the 40 split seat.
20220805_154845.jpg
20220805_154915.jpg
20220805_155125.jpg

Attachments

• 20220805_154845.jpg
    20220805_154845.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 13

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn that amp is THICK.
Great taste in subs ;) I have them also and they bang. I just refinished my enclosure to a rustic distressed ratrod red. My SALT-4 kills them 8's at .5 ohms.

Attachments

• Enlcosure2.PNG
    Enlcosure2.PNG
    330 KB · Views: 10
  • Enclosure3.PNG
    Enclosure3.PNG
    670.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Enclosure1.PNG
    Enclosure1.PNG
    633.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You can disable smart battery management / BMS via FORSCAN, but it’s not recommended. I’ve had a voltage regulator go out on my Ducati, you don’t want that. Fortunately, most of the electronics scrammed, including my lighting circuits so the only major damage were the 2 fried batteries, one of which was a pricey, lightweight Lithium iron Shorai. I saw voltage readings just north of 16.5v before i cut the bike off. The lights scrammed way before that.

I can’t imagine the havoc a high volt condition would cause in the Rap.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can disable smart battery management / BMS via FORSCAN, but it’s not recommended. I’ve had a voltage regulator go out on my Ducati, you don’t want that. Fortunately, most of the electronics scrammed, including my lighting circuits so the only major damage were the 2 fried batteries, one of which was a pricey, lightweight Lithium iron Shorai. I saw voltage readings just north of 16.5v before i cut the bike off. The lights scrammed way before that.

I can’t imagine the havoc a high volt condition would cause in the Rap.
I had the same on an XR650R that I built up and made street legal. After the voltage reg died I ran the revs up and actually heard a "di nk" (the site blocks ****???) noise. That was my bike telling me to **** off because everything just got popped!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the same on an XR650R that I built up and made street legal. After the voltage reg died I ran the revs up and actually heard a "di nk" (the site blocks ****???) noise. That was my bike telling me to **** off because everything just got popped!

noun​

1. A drop shot.
  2. Used as a disparaging term for a North Vietnamese soldier or guerrilla in the Vietnam War.
  3. either of a married couple who both are employed and have no children. The term is often used as the prototype of midde-class persons with higher-than-average disposable income.
I'm guessing it's not number 1 or number 3 ... could we get any more ******* i n g PC? Maybe next time you could use "c h i n k". Or not. We need to start a list of racial slurs over in the Champagne Room to see which ones the nanny misses.

Edit to fix ***** and to comment that foxtrot uniform charlie kilo with spaces between is now getting ********ed. This is really starting to annoy me. It's nearing the time for civil disobedience.

Edit again to ask why Charlie isn't a foul. It's also a disparaging term for a North Vietnamese soldier, no? How about ****? Slant?

Edit again. I went hunting on the interwebs. :evil27: Other terms for our little not friends that need to be banned! Banned, I say!
Duck. Gookie Monster. Gulper. McGook. Mister Charles. Mung. Nammer. Sloat. Tunnel digger. Tunnel rat. Vink. Youn.
Let's see how good that nanny really is. :p

Last edited: