Dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blee22

Reaction score
So I found a dealer last month that had an allocation left to order at MSRP but is located about 2 hours away from me. I had them submit my build to Ford. 3 weeks in, still no update from my salesman.

I found a dealer today that is 30 minutes away from me that has an allocation available to order at MSRP also.

My question to you guys is, should I keep my current order in and suck up the 2 hour drive when it arrives (which really isn’t that bad) or should I cancel and place an order with the dealer that is local to me? My thinking is if something were to go wrong with the truck, I’d have a dealer that I purchased the truck from within a 30 minutes or less drive as opposed to 2 hours. Also thinking about service for the truck as well, using a dealer that you purchased from is definitely a different experience and customer appreciation than using a dealer for service that you didn’t purchse from.

Last edited:

Brutane

Reaction score
Hmmm. That’s a tough call. If it doesn’t cause any problems for you with the other dealer I’d probably go with the one closer to you. Like you said it does make a difference when it comes time for service.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You’re not bound to service the truck at the purchasing dealer.

Unless you suspect something is fishy at dealer number 1, why mess with it?

Take yes for an answer.

Prod stealer #1 for some updates, tell them you’re feeling lonely, as all your Raptor owning buddies are going off roading, and snickering at your peasant-mobile prius as they parade past your house.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Prod stealer #1 for some updates, tell them you’re feeling lonely, as all your Raptor owning buddies are going off roading, and snickering at your peasant-mobile prius as they parade past your house.

In contention for post of the day...

I'd order from the closer dealer as well and go with the first guy to get me a VIN and cancel the other one.

Some of them play games with the allocations, as in they take orders hoping to get another...

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
late response, but to the OP, did you put a deposit on your 1st order? I just ordered a new 18 and did put a deposit on it as I didn't want them to sell it out from under me. While they could always refund the deposit, I still feel as if it has them more committed to honoring our deal.

If not and you can't get the sales guy to respond, I'd leave a msg that due to non-response you're doing business elsewhere...

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In contention for post of the day...

I'd order from the closer dealer as well and go with the first guy to get me a VIN and cancel the other one.

Some of them play games with the allocations, as in they take orders hoping to get another...

Frank excellent point! I have a friend who (until recently) ran a Ford dealership and he made sure to stress that I confirm they have a current allocation before placing an order with a dealer...as EXACTLY what you say can occur, a dealership will take your order w/o having a current allocation available, hoping they get another one soon. This can add a lot of time to your order...

OP
OP
B

Blee22

Reaction score
Everything worked out with the first dealer. Got my VIN last week. Build date of 4/23 and delivery date of 5/16!

bobn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local service department doesn't give a shit were you bought the truck.

As I bought a Taurus SHO from local dealer; had warranty work needed done and service dept. was almost 2 weeks out. My a/c went out and it was summer. I pointed out I bought vehicle there and service department said doesn't matter first come first serve.

Last edited:

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! As for the dealerships- I would use which ever has the best customer service. I have some I would never set foot in again. Hell I drove by the local GMC store to drive 60 miles to get my wife's Yukon, and we make the drive there for any needs.

dhawks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats. I've always assumed that I would get the run-around from the service department of a dealer where I didn't purchase the vehicle. Fortunately I haven't had to test that.