Digital License Plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i stand corrected. we did this in the beginning of 2015 for a demonstration. had a few ceo type people at the shop while we put this and a few other things on a car they rented. had to remove it 4 days later.

View attachment 152108
intesting that it's a color display. The only option now is white on black or black on white.

DanT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the one.

it’s arriving tomorrow. I just hope it’s the same overall size as the plate as anything bigger would get in the way of the trailer lights and spare drop.
$600 for a plate is cra-cra. I assume that’s for 1 plate so in states where front and back are required you’re re paying $1200? I’d rather have a tune.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no front plate. It's just the rear. I believe I read on the CA DMV site that if you have a rear eletronic plate, you don't need a front one. I need to double check that.

it came and it's attached. It fits on the raptor with a stock bumper.

IMG_1505.jpeg

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems like a technology that OEM’s could add in the future if it was adopted in all 50 states. I couldn’t see paying for it voluntarily. If the DMV has access to any GPS from it they could start using it for the per mile billing of road taxes like they keep proposing.

If the OEMs adopt this technology and make it standard equipment, then you will pay for it involuntarily.
Would that make you feel better or worse about it?

This is expensive, unnecessary, and potentially intrusive electronic bling.
Think glow-in-the-dark boxer shorts with sequins, with a Bluetooth uplink so that anyone with the tech can tell when you're *****, how often, and for how long.

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

So having just installed it. I agree 100% with this.

It does, however, remove the all white plate with an all black with white letters. Also, it's helpful with all the reg sticker / plate thefts happening now here in the area because people aren't paying vehicle reg.

The plate option I have does NOT have GPS btw.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no front plate. It's just the rear. I believe I read on the CA DMV site that if you have a rear eletronic plate, you don't need a front one. I need to double check that.

My understanding is a front plate is needed so that police can identify the vehicle when view from the front. I don't see how a digital plate in the back would resolve that issue....unless they can identify your vehicle through GPS or some other non-visual method. In which case, why is the a plate required at all?

Think glow-in-the-dark boxer shorts with sequins, with a Bluetooth uplink so that anyone with the tech can tell when you're *****, how often, and for how long.

Guess I'll be returning my recent Amazon order then.

It does, however, remove the all white plate with an all black with white letters. Also, it's helpful with all the reg sticker / plate thefts happening now here in the area because people aren't paying vehicle reg.

The plate option I have does NOT have GPS btw.

In Texas, and I imagine most states, you can order different license plate colors. Of course, you can't change them at will like you can with these digital plates. As far as the reg sticker, is it on the plate itself? In Texas, it's on the windshield to avoid theft. And what about the digital plate keeps it from being stolen?

OP
OP
Donmatteo

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My understanding is a front plate is needed so that police can identify the vehicle when view from the front. I don't see how a digital plate in the back would resolve that issue....unless they can identify your vehicle through GPS or some other non-visual method. In which case, why is the a plate required at all?

The electronic plate is still a pilot program in ca. There was some talk about removing the front plate requirement for cars digital plates. Not sure where that landed with COVID. That was suppose to be determined in July 2020.

In Texas, and I imagine most states, you can order different license plate colors. Of course, you can't change them at will like you can with these digital plates. As far as the reg sticker, is it on the plate itself? In Texas, it's on the windshield to avoid theft. And what about the digital plate keeps it from being stolen?

In CA, the reg stickers are on the plates outside the car. On the Digital plate, it's part of the LCD display.

The bracket it mounted to the car and the plate is mounted using security screws to the bracket. When the plate detects it's been removed, it displays a message that it was removed from the bracket and you can, by using the app, report the plate as stolen and it renders the display useless. The plate does have an LTE connection, which I suppose can triangulate position

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this would be cool if i could turn it off every time i go through toll and not have to pay the toll then plate would pay for itself in 1 month