GEN 1 Differential swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kramer29163

Reaction score
I apologize beforehand, I'm not forum savvy in the least!

I'm pretty sure I messed up and I need your help. I've made the mistake of buying a salvage rear instead of rebuilding my own, now I'm running into issues.

I've got a rear differential out of a 2011 SVT that I'm swapping into my 2010 SVT that has an aftermarket brake setup (not a big brake kit) the issue I'm coming across is that the aftermarket brake rotors don't fit the newer model year rear. I was under the (likely wrong) assumption that everything would be a direct fit.

Can anyone help straighten me out on how to make this work or if it even will?

I don't have any issue of doing any minor wrenching but I'd be very hesitant to Crack the cover and dig into anything inside. So if it were to get to in depth I just need the info to forward on to a qualified mechanic.

Attached is a not so great picture of the salvage axle if it helps.

Attachments

• received_220017690208895.jpeg
    received_220017690208895.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 45

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, who would of thought different, you would of thought those 2 years would be the same.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Gear ratio might also be off. If you can't swap the axles out from one housing to the other and set up a ring gear, I would take it to a shop.

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i’m not going to do all the homework.

but rock auto is a great resource.

go on there and see if the PNs for the calipers, brackets, rotors, etc… are the same.

“don’t fit” is very vague. rotor holes don’t line up? holes too small? what is actually going on?

there should also be a gear ratio code tag on the diff cover or the tubes somewhere that will tell you the ratio.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rear E-brakes shoes, rotors and brake line fittings are different
between 2010 and (2011-2012) and (2013-2014)
Gear ratio is the same for all years for the Raptor.
Axle splines are different but not sure when the change took place.
I believe the rear brake pads are the same throughout the Gen 1 years.
Also, I'm not 100% sure the calibers are all the same for the rear.

The width of the rear E-Brake shoes are slightly wider, not 100% sure which years have the wider ones.
I wonder if you can just grind down the edges of the shoes to make the rotors slip all the way on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kramer29163

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the quick responses!
I don't know how to revise the post but turns out the donor truck is actually a 2012.

Got the entire assembly bolted in today and only a few minor issues. Ebrake cable isn't compatible (talked to Ford and was able to order a fix) and I've got a ride quality issue (feels like it's driving on tiny rumble strips) that I'm hoping is just a tire issue from sitting for so long.

Also does anyone know what this port is for? My truck has a connector but the old rear doesn't have the sensor port.

Attachments

• 41756.jpeg
    41756.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 37

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the quick responses!
I don't know how to revise the post but turns out the donor truck is actually a 2012.

Got the entire assembly bolted in today and only a few minor issues. Ebrake cable isn't compatible (talked to Ford and was able to order a fix) and I've got a ride quality issue (feels like it's driving on tiny rumble strips) that I'm hoping is just a tire issue from sitting for so long.

Also does anyone know what this port is for? My truck has a connector but the old rear doesn't have the sensor port.
Plug is for the electronic locking differential