Differential cover - interesting research

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Older thread, but it's appropriate for my question. I just bought a '12 with 83k mi. The diff cover looks a little rough, and I live in Minnesota. I don't do much off-roading, but I still think it should be replaced soon anyway. Would there be any material benefit for me to get the Spicer or Ford Performance (or any other non-OEM) diff cover? Or should I just replace with another OEM diff cover?
I believe I heard that Ford will only warranty diffs with their OEM or Ford Performance diff cover.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe I heard that Ford will only warranty diffs with their OEM or Ford Performance diff cover.
Well clearly he is out of warranty... I would weigh the cost between the spicer/FP unit vs OEM - but also the former may hold up better to weather than the OEM because of the paint/powder coat. It also looks way better and can be drained/filled without being removed.

doodman4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well clearly he is out of warranty... I would weigh the cost between the spicer/FP unit vs OEM - but also the former may hold up better to weather than the OEM because of the paint/powder coat. It also looks way better and can be drained/filled without being removed.
Right, I'm well outside of factory warranty, but I do have an extended service plan. I'll likely go w/ the FP unit just to not take chances on the extended warranty. Just wanted to get feedback on an OEM vs non-OEM unit, given that I don't do much off-roading (yet). Cast iron/powder coat will obv hold up better in the winter salt/sand up here.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is one i have on my 02 Lightning . Machined out of billet aluminum not cast , i would like to find one for Raptor but they were only made for a few years , and back in 2003 -04 by JDM . I would buy a Banks cover if they made one for our size axle. Gale said if you snap the cooling fins off he would replace the cover for free.

Attachments

• JDM_Girdle_01.jpg
    JDM_Girdle_01.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 14
  • JDM_Girdle_02.jpg
    JDM_Girdle_02.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: