Differential cover - interesting research

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Rodriguez

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep,Video been around for a while and made me start researching covers and found the FORD PERFORMANCE is made by DANA/SPICER and is exactly the same except for the little name plate....so for $100+ more you get a Ford Name plate instead of a Spicer....
Found them on Rock Auto for $140 shipped....l
DANA/SPICER# 10023539 Differential Cover

Question.....did you fill to the lower plug or the upper plug?

I have the Ford performance one. It adds 20 horsepower over the Spicer one.

I filled mine to the lower plug. If I remember correctly the instructions say the upper plug is for lifted trucks. Haven’t had an issue.

Michael Rodriguez

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lower for un-lifted upper for lifted. Mine took three quarts to start flowing out of the stock fill hole. So I will check after I drive a bit around town the cover lower hole. Let you know. Been raining cats and dogs this week so just sheltered in place. Hahaha

sounds about right. Mine took just over 3 quarts. Was using those amsoil bags and felt like I left a bunch in each bag. Hate those things.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Banks if they keep those lower fins is going to be an issue for folks who off-road.

They break off at a designed location. You can cut them off too.

Banks did not develop that cover for off road use anyways. He was targeting diesel guys who are towing and carrying massive loads everyday.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Ford performance one. It adds 20 horsepower over the Spicer one.

I filled mine to the lower plug. If I remember correctly the instructions say the upper plug is for lifted trucks. Haven’t had an issue.

Thanks for the "fill" info...thats what I thought...lower plug for unlifted.
Not sure how a "metal" tag can increase HP by 20 since they are the exact same covers except for the tag...unless you mean over the STOCK cover....

doodman4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Older thread, but it's appropriate for my question. I just bought a '12 with 83k mi. The diff cover looks a little rough, and I live in Minnesota. I don't do much off-roading, but I still think it should be replaced soon anyway. Would there be any material benefit for me to get the Spicer or Ford Performance (or any other non-OEM) diff cover? Or should I just replace with another OEM diff cover?