Differential cover - interesting research

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just_in_time

Reaction score
I stumbled on to this on YouTube - prior to this video I had no idea how the differential cover and fluid could have such an effect on the vehicle. I would have thought a good reason to put on a aftermarket cover was simply to make it easier to replace the fluid! This video shows how the fluid flows over the ring gear and the stock cover is designed nicely for that. These guys engineered a new cover to replace the factory one to maintain the internal fluid levels and flow while also making it easier to replace fluid level as required. They did a lot of testing and their new design includes a air scoop to route cooling air over the cover as well. Their web site didn’t appear to have a Ford version available yet...I have no affiliation with these guys and may or may not try their product. Just pointing out some very interesting and informative work done.

Dated March 27, 2020 and titled (on YouTube)
Is your differential cover KILLING your gears?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lots of nifty ideas/engineering on that diff cover. It’s kind of hard to look at tho. Glad to see them rocking Amsoil gear oil.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they can't make the cover substantially better, they don't make one.
Substantially better than a stock metal stamped diff cover from Ford? Even Ford seems to think they could do better so they option the Performance cover.
Banks is tough to take after a while on his videos. Granted his research seems to be thorough, but why exclude the largest selling pickup truck in American history - the F150.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Substantially better than a stock metal stamped diff cover from Ford? Even Ford seems to think they could do better so they option the Performance cover.
Banks is tough to take after a while on his videos. Granted his research seems to be thorough, but why exclude the largest selling pickup truck in American history - the F150.
What I meant was, not stronger or better looking but provide a better internal shape for lubrication and/or more oil volume while providing better lubrication. The FP cover already does what you mentioned above...

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that video has been posted here before. This is why I like the Ford Performance cover - it is the same shape as the cheap stamped OEM unit but stronger, looks better and it can be drained and refilled without removal.

Yep,Video been around for a while and made me start researching covers and found the FORD PERFORMANCE is made by DANA/SPICER and is exactly the same except for the little name plate....so for $100+ more you get a Ford Name plate instead of a Spicer....
Found them on Rock Auto for $140 shipped....l
DANA/SPICER# 10023539 Differential Cover

Question.....did you fill to the lower plug or the upper plug?

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
Yep,Video been around for a while and made me start researching covers and found the FORD PERFORMANCE is made by DANA/SPICER and is exactly the same except for the little name plate....so for $100+ more you get a Ford Name plate instead of a Spicer....
Found them on Rock Auto for $140 shipped....l
DANA/SPICER# 10023539 Differential Cover

Question.....did you fill to the lower plug or the upper plug?
Lower for un-lifted upper for lifted. Mine took three quarts to start flowing out of the stock fill hole. So I will check after I drive a bit around town the cover lower hole. Let you know. Been raining cats and dogs this week so just sheltered in place. Hahaha