Difference Between 2010 and 2011 OEM Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello all! First time poster but long time reader on the forums. I have a 2010 5.4L Ford Raptor running factory, never replaced, shocks. I have seen it for a long time coming and am now faced with replacing my oem rear shocks. Looking around online for best prices the rebuild definitely seems like the route to go but I am looking to just replace the rear shocks completely to have a spare set on the side (Would like to learn how to rebuild for future purposes).

I found a set of shocks on Ebay for a 2011-2014 Raptor that looks incredibly identical to the oem 2010 shocks I have on currently. Looking at brand new rear shocks most vendors want 2k+ for rear shocks and Ebay has multiple listings for 2011-2014 rear shocks for 600/per. Looking up 2010 shocks I usually find them in the 2k range.

So my question is this - Would anyone know if these would be compatible? The 2011 oem rear shocks on a 2010? (And yes I know it may be a common sense thing for most others but with the prices on the shocks I would rather hear from everyone here who knows more than I before I spend the money)

Thanks everyone!

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 2010s with the 5.4 are supposedly valved differently than the 6.2 shocks. Don't think it really matters they should still fit

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funnily enough I had this same question come up today. Front shocks and springs from the 2010 (regardless of engine size) are a different part to the later models. Tasca wants almost $100 per shock less for the 2010's (under $1000 for the pair)

Forged Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5.4 shocks have a different shim stack for the "lighter truck". The 6.2 shocks will work, but I heard it makes for a ****** ride.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I know they were valved differently for Super Crew vs Super Cab, but this is the first I have ever heard someone mention a difference based on the engine. The 5.4 and 6.2 are both iron blocks, I can't imagine the weight difference would be that significant.

Forged Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know they were valved differently for Super Crew vs Super Cab, but this is the first I have ever heard someone mention a difference based on the engine. The 5.4 and 6.2 are both iron blocks, I can't imagine the weight difference would be that significant.

The 5.4s have a different piston and shim stack and the rear reservoir has only 1 seal on the cap. Weight difference is maybe 80-100lbs, not sure if thats enough to make a difference but they did change when the 6.2's came out.

Last edited:

fahadalbazai

Reaction score
i have a 2013 raptor and by mistake got 2010 front shocks and dont know if they are going to work i realy need feed back thanks

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 was an option in 2010, so it’s impossible to know if used shocks are off a 5.4 or 6.2 truck unless there is a printed part number (my stock shocks didn’t have one). I honestly wouldn’t bother specifically choosing one version of the shocks over another as most drivers would never tell.