GEN 2 Diff lock took out pinion bearing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You got the whole sha-bang not just bearings. I also had to do bearings @ 75k miles. I was really, really surprised they lasted that long all things considered :)

Yours, the carrier wire harness had a cut in it exposing it to oil and keeping it engaged the whole time. I have to say, that, is a first for me.,

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wife had to drive 5.5hrs to pick me up in the Raptor and we drove back home and the next day I get a whine from the rear. I took it to the dealer and they called later that day and said my diff lock was on and it took out my pinion.

I told the service writer the diff lock is controlled from the drive modes and if you manually turn it on it turns off after 20mph. They fixed it under power train warranty and should have it back tomorrow. It seemed strange so I thought I would share.
What a coincidence, I just dropped mine off at the dealership for the exact same issue. Aftermarket warranty sending a powertrain adjuster to come look at it next week. Tech that was working on it said all he did was crack the diff cover and drain the fluid but he did notice metal in the fluid. No sure how it happened but hopefully I don't get any $hit from them about coverage.

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yours, the carrier wire harness had a cut in it exposing it to oil and keeping it engaged the whole time. I have to say, that, is a first for me.,
Still scratching my head on this. If the wire gets cut, there’s still no power for it to short out and engage the coil/locker. I could see it blowing a fuse or something if you tried to engage it with a broken wire.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still scratching my head on this. If the wire gets cut, there’s still no power for it to short out and engage the coil/locker. I could see it blowing a fuse or something if you tried to engage it with a broken wire.
I'm speculating here but the RO says it was cut with part of the wire exposed, not a broken wire. "speculating" I guess if the wires were chaffed raw and not broken they could pass current thru the oil. Seems unlikely but hey, stranger things have happened, Alec Baldwin shot a woman and blamed her for it, who would have thought it could have been her fault?

Last edited:

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm speculating here but the RO says it was cut with part of the wire exposed, not a broken wire. "speculating" I guess if the wires were chaffed raw and broken they could pass current thru the oil. Seems unlikely but hey, stranger things have happened, Alec Baldwin shot a woman and blamed her for it, who would have thought it could have been her fault?
Haha touché

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why are they putting Additive in the rear diff???
No Raptor any Gen uses friction modifier in the rear diff!!!
It's only for the front diff with the Torsen option.

Motorcraft chart clearly shows NA for rear diff:

I fried every bearing in the pumkin with only 9,000 miles.
If you're going to be doing 100++ for long periods of time and have NOT gone to full synthetic and a larger diff cover you will toast the bearings again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
10SpdsOfFury

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are they putting Additive in the rear diff???
No Raptor any Gen uses friction modifier in the rear diff!!!

Motorcraft chart clearly shows NA for read diff:

I fried every bearing in the pumkin with only 9,000 miles.
If you're going to be doing 90++ for long periods of time and have NOT gone to full synthetic and a larger diff cover you will toast the gears.
I have no clue but that’s what warranty is for. Lol

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The oil is not conductive unless it's full of metal. Transmissions have all kinds wires sumbmerged in oil. Lock engages with 12 volts supplied so if it not switched on cut in wires would not engage it. Lucky everything was available a lot of small parts are on backorder with supply chain issues.