GEN 2 Diff lock took out pinion bearing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Do your drive in 4Auto or 4Hi? Because from the factory you couldn’t have had the diff locked in 2wd. Or were you in Snow mode? Just wondering how they knew the diff was locked (if it wasn’t locked when you pulled it into the service department).

I was able to engage diff lock in 4a. It wasn’t on purpose, I was ******** around on the property and trying to change t/c mode, hit some rough terrain punched the diff lock button -- hey, that’s diff lock. Who knew?

But, I believe this setting doesn’t survive an ignition cycle.
This is just an observation, OP has a diagnosis and fix for an obvious problem.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would notice the rear tires chirping when making sharp turns if diff was locked. Also, truck would try to push straight through turns, etc. Was it the pinion gear or the bearing?
That truck not want to turn, and yes the chirp. I had an Auburn locker in my 98, yeah I know it differs, but lockers lock and it did not like any sort of sharp turn.chirp chirp chirp and a happy little skip with each chirp

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
i highly doubt that the diff lock was on, which took out the pinion bearing. The carrier would have flexed, causing the spider gears to fail and would have left lots of metal in the center section if that were the case. Now, the pin could have slid in and been partially engaged if the pinion was wobbling, but that seems like a rather hamfisted explanation.

" you had a bad pinion bearing" would have been sufficient.
The whole reason that I could diag this was an excellent explanation of the way the rear dif lock works from the lead instructor at raptor assault. say what you want about it not being "ultra exciting", but it is informative as hell if you ask the right questions.