GEN 2 Diff lock took out pinion bearing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my wife had to drive 5.5hrs to pick me up in the Raptor and we drove back home and the next day I get a whine from the rear. I took it to the dealer and they called later that day and said my diff lock was on and it took out my pinion.

I told the service writer the diff lock is controlled from the drive modes and if you manually turn it on it turns off after 20mph. They fixed it under power train warranty and should have it back tomorrow. It seemed strange so I thought I would share.

Last edited:

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow good it was covered under warranty.

I went to local car wash in gen 1 yesterday and had inside cleaned . I usually do outside only but had been a while. They pull away from vacuums while turning and pop pop pop from axle lucky guy stopped. Went over and they had pulled axle knob out. Pushed it in and had guy drive back and forth in straight line. Till it unlocked. Told the girl can't be messing with 4wd knob. Then get down the road notice my aux switch is on for kc lights . Lucky I had covers on not blinding people even in daytime. I went through expensive broken gears this time last year brought up bad memories.

OP
OP
10SpdsOfFury

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would notice the rear tires chirping when making sharp turns if diff was locked. Also, truck would try to push straight through turns, etc. Was it the pinion gear or the bearing?
That’s what I was thinking also. They said pinion bearing. I will look at the write up when I pickup the truck.

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do your drive in 4Auto or 4Hi? Because from the factory you couldn’t have had the diff locked in 2wd. Or were you in Snow mode? Just wondering how they knew the diff was locked (if it wasn’t locked when you pulled it into the service department).

OP
OP
10SpdsOfFury

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do your drive in 4Auto or 4Hi? Because from the factory you couldn’t have had the diff locked in 2wd. Or were you in Snow mode? Just wondering how they knew the diff was locked (if it wasn’t locked when you pulled it into the service department).
I am in FL so no snow and I don’t drive around in 4hi or auto. I have no idea how they came to that conclusion.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
i highly doubt that the diff lock was on, which took out the pinion bearing. The carrier would have flexed, causing the spider gears to fail and would have left lots of metal in the center section if that were the case. Now, the pin could have slid in and been partially engaged if the pinion was wobbling, but that seems like a rather hamfisted explanation.

" you had a bad pinion bearing" would have been sufficient.

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in FL so no snow and I don’t drive around in 4hi or auto. I have no idea how they came to that conclusion.
Ah gotcha. I see a related thread below about "Diff lock stuck on" and looks like it might have been something similar to yours.
" you had a bad pinion bearing" would have been sufficient.
haha precisely.