Diff fluid color variation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptr1

Reaction score
So I just got my front diff fluid replaced. 83k. Diff holds 3.5 pints or 1.75 quarts. Without going through all the hassle of removing the front cover, I just used a little pump to pump out as much fluid as I can. I used a 1/4” OD hose and was able to only get out 2.5 pints....... not sure how others are getting all the fluid out. So I filled up 2.5 pints of new fluid and drove around 10miles in 4x4 and did another exchange, and after that another exchange. Here is a picture of each exchange. Towards the 3rd fluid exchange the color of the oil was getting more clear since almost all the friction modifier that’s green/blue in color has been extracted.

97D26927-83CF-46EC-80AC-CC229CBEB19C.jpeg

OP
OP
R

raptr1

Reaction score
Remove front cover, replace gasket, fluid is homogenous :).

I just didn’t want to remove the cover at that time after doing the rear, transfer case and transmission oil that day. I did remove the cover in the rear though and installed some sort of pre-made gasket that fit nicely so no need for all the mess.
When I did pump out the fluid the color was all uniformed, but after sitting for a few days it separated to what is seen now.