Diesel sound on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorsOfLCF

Reaction score
Lately, my 2018 Raptor has been making a terrible, diesel-like rod knock sound on the first startup of the day. I've taken it in to the dealer a 2nd time, as they "couldn't replicate it". I took a video and showed it to the Service Agent, so hopefully they'll take it seriously. Has anyone else experienced this?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lately, my 2018 Raptor has been making a terrible, diesel-like rod knock sound on the first startup of the day. I've taken it in to the dealer a 2nd time, as they "couldn't replicate it". I took a video and showed it to the Service Agent, so hopefully they'll take it seriously. Has anyone else experienced this?
Your dealer needs to start your engine after it has sat overnight and is cold, they are mostly idiots as somebody will drive it into the bay for the tech and then he goes to start it and goes " couldnt find the problem" TELL THEM WHAT TO DO, as if they don't know the problem, its well known by now.

micreorge

Reaction score
Yup. Can phasers and the like. Mine did the exact same thing. They kept fooling around not finding it and it wasn’t until I left it overnight and told them it’s only on a cold first start that they were able to replicate it. Hopefully yours is still under warranty, mine happened at like 35k!

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did right by showing them a video. As others have said they will need to keep it overnight to successfully diagnose. Mine took 2 days to repair once parts were in. At least you will get the updated parts...mine got the old ones, so I expect it to return.