Did I just get worked over on my extended warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a buddy who just got his 4door bronco and it was missing temperature control knobs ok delivery. Obviously ford fixed it but a few years ago you would never find a Ford sold like that. I do believe any company right now trying to push consumer goods are more focused on maintaining their revenue streams by getting products out the door rather than perfecting it and make the consumer wait longer. I wouldn’t say anyone is at fault since consumers want their goods while companies physically cannot get them out. So there has to be a trade off somewhere.

An issue discovered at delivery or soon after isn't exactly a reason to buy an extended warranty, since the standard warranty covers this. I mean, if your truck has several issue while under standard warranty, good reason to think you'll need the ESP. But if your truck has been solid for 3 years, I'm not sold that it's going to start falling a part.

Also, I'm not fully buying the idea that build quality has gone down hill, and vehicles will require more warranty work than before because of plastics and electronics. Unlike other consumer goods, Ford loses a lot if their vehicles fail early. No one goes back to the brand when they got a lemon with them before. No one wants a vehicle that has crappy resale value.

And as stated before, Ford makes money off the extended warranty.

The warranty at least gives piece of mind like many have said. Some of the parts may have gone through less vigorous QA vs in the past. Some may fail prematurely. I will say with every day that passes, we will find more companies adopting a fix-it model rather than a buy-it-and-forget-about-it model. Take a look at old appliances vs new ones. There are still ovens out there from the 60s that work like a champ where some new ones die within 2 years. Just saying.

Anyway the funniest thing was when i picked up the truck the dealer told me that soon Ford plans to sell vehicles with mechanical configurations and then any nice “electronic” add-ons will be sold as a subscription. You want heated seats? Ok that’ll be $50/year. Not sure the truth to that but he certainly believed it would be a thing lol.

I really doubt this will happen on features like heated seats, particularly when other brands aren't following suit. But there is, and will be subscription fees on some service type features. Already exists for internet access. Maybe security monitoring, remote access control, streaming services, etc.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I'm not fully buying the idea that build quality has gone down hill, and vehicles will require more warranty work than before because of plastics and electronics. Unlike other consumer goods, Ford loses a lot if their vehicles fail early. No one goes back to the brand when they got a lemon with them before. No one wants a vehicle that has crappy resale value.
I work in IT. Some electronics last decades, some fail out of the box, and the rest fail randomly somewhere in between. The only commonality among them is they are usually very expensive and hard to troubleshoot. I'd have a warranty solely for this. Not exactly vehicle related, but we bought ~60 Cisco firewalls at around $500k. Intel produced the chips inside of those firewalls and they ended up having a problem, they would brick after roughly 18 month and become completely unusable. Cisco had to replace all of them under warranty and it was totally out of their control. Long story short, Ford may do nothing wrong and could still get bit by the electronics.

As I posted before, my truck had all kinds of problems during the initial factory warranty, so buying a high end ESP made sense to me. That said, if I had zero issues I'd probably buy one with a high deductible as a cheap insurance policy.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I work in IT. Some electronics last decades, some fail out of the box, and the rest fail randomly somewhere in between. The only commonality among them is they are usually very expensive and hard to troubleshoot. I'd have a warranty solely for this. Not exactly vehicle related, but we bought ~60 Cisco firewalls at around $500k. Intel produced the chips inside of those firewalls and they ended up having a problem, they would brick after roughly 18 month and become completely unusable. Cisco had to replace all of them under warranty and it was totally out of their control. Long story short, Ford may do nothing wrong and could still get bit by the electronics.

As I posted before, my truck had all kinds of problems during the initial factory warranty, so buying a high end ESP made sense to me. That said, if I had zero issues I'd probably buy one with a high deductible as a cheap insurance policy.

Yea, I work in IT too, though not on infrastructure as you seem to be. I'm less worried as I see the systems inside of a truck as much less complex that a typical computer, phone, or network equipment. I have seen devices with a bit of firmware do just fine for a decade of work or more.

But sure, parts can fail. Go with what makes sense to you. Don't think there's a wrong choice here.

OP
OP
PandaBoi

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I work in IT too, though not on infrastructure as you seem to be. I'm less worried as I see the systems inside of a truck as much less complex that a typical computer, phone, or network equipment. I have seen devices with a bit of firmware do just fine for a decade of work or more.

But sure, parts can fail. Go with what makes sense to you. Don't think there's a wrong choice here.
very true, i think it's subjective and there isnt a wrong choice. The fact that ive already had problems has put me in a state of mind where I feel a warranty would be useful. The Jeep Wrangler i had before the raptor (not even a comparison against Ford but ill bring it up anyway) had a lift on it (done professionally with high quality parts) and somewhere down the line the thing ground out its rear pinion gears in the diff. the repair was $5k total and luckily i got a free extended warranty when i bought it in negotiations so it was covered. It was 4 years old at that point with <35k miles. That being said a buddy of mine had a lifted jeep, same model, same lift, and the thing has had no issues and hes at 7 years now with >75k miles and no problem.

Thinking about it maybe that says something about my heavy foot though haha, too many donuts in the snow ;)

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i read the paperwork and can get the refund within 30 days of purchase for the full purchase price given there are no claims, can't believe I made this mistake after being on this forum hearing about flood ford! super embarrassed :emotions122:

Ill see if finance boy will lower his price and maybe ill stay with them.

Anyone who bought esp from flood ford, were you satisfied with your purchase?
Hi guys
I have a 19 and my warranty will be up in October... I thought about getting an extended warranty from flood ford before mine expires... Where are they located ? Do they sell out of state also ? How do you go about getting it ??

OP
OP
PandaBoi

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a 19 and my warranty will be up in October... I thought about getting an extended warranty from flood ford before mine expires... Where are they located ? Do they sell out of state also ? How do you go about getting it ??
I believe they are based out of NJ and you can purchase online from anywhere in the country. You can go to their website and input the details of your vehicle along with miles and they will give you a quote for the warranties available. You can pretty much do it at any time while owning the vehicle to my knowledge, although, the older the vehicle is and depending on current warranty status, it may cost more than if it was say new.

Check above for some other places you can buy from, one is ziegler although their quote was higher for me than flood.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Hi guys
I think they are out of RI and you can do it all on line from any state in about 5 mins, super easy. Emailed to you and added to your ford pass account within days