Did i get some bad Gas ? Decipher CoBB AP #'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds pretty normal to me…
Was gonna say, this seems within the normal range. Just because it’s pulling some timing doesn’t mean somethings wrong, it’s designed to do that. The Garrett is a good intercooler, I wouldn’t be too worried about heat but you can’t expect it to run at full advance in non ideal conditions.

OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still like to know why the knock octane modifier switched one day to next. Still on same tank of fuel i filled up with last week . i will be topping off at my regular station today . I am going to switch to 91 stage 1 OTS today . One thing about crappy hot air, is even worse on N/A engines. Thanks for the help.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hot air is definitely much worse on a high boost turbo motor than an n/a motor. It’s the opposite as far as altitude is concerned.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still like to know why the knock octane modifier switched one day to next. Still on same tank of fuel i filled up with last week . i will be topping off at my regular station today . I am going to switch to 91 stage 1 OTS today . One thing about crappy hot air, is even worse on N/A engines. Thanks for the help.
I haven’t observed or logged KOM at startup because I just don’t feel the need. I did read that the KOM is held at -1.0 at cold start until the engine temp comes up. There is a whole lot of functional description in the Cobb Accesstuner support files on their web site. Maybe I’ll take a look at mine to see it. I’ve seen people freak out while watching AFR at startup as well and see anomalies as the O2 sensor heaters come on and fluctuate. I recommend not watching any real-time data at initial cold startup!

OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I filled up my regular gas station and switched to 91 Stage 1 map . I give about 15 -20 miles before WOT so far 3/4 throttle it was adding 4 deg of timing and only saw .50 neg . It was 102 deg with A/C on as well . Interested to see how much timing it will pull next month I'm sure there will be some 122 deg days like in 2020.

Attachments

• 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is after racing a coworkers's Genesis g90 , one that looks like a Aston Martin . I steadily pulled on him till 90. Stage 1 feels stronger to me. Maybe not enough octane to take full advantage of stage 2. Pic took right after racing 65 deg out .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220523-042337_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220523-042337_Gallery.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Playing around with 5 gallons e85 added to 91 octane 26 gallon tank. Looks like its adding 5 deg of timing now. Correct? Feels better still running stage 1 ots tune. 110 ambiant and humidity is up.

Attachments

• 20220716_131922.jpg
    20220716_131922.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 10

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, that “highest” timing parameter is the sum of each added (or subtracted) timing value, not a single max value.

As the engine operates, the ECU always adds timing in specific amounts, around 1 deg, until it gets a tiny knock event, then subtracts a specific amount to stop it. These specific amounts, added and/or subtracted, are set in the tune and the flash-tuning software I’ve used makes them available for the tuner to adjust.

So, more info than you asked, but I felt I should explain the data monitor just a bit because it isn’t obvious. Well, it wasn’t obvious to me when I first used it.

Anyway(!) your answer is “yes”, the E85 mix added more timing than your “normal” fuel.

If you also take a look at the LTFT you will see it is adding fuel to hit the AFR target. If it is more than say +10%, then you might want to add some gasoline. Goose can set you up with a tune for just about any amount of E85 you want to run. These EcoBoost engines will make significantly more power running the corn whiskey!

Last edited:
OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will check that tomorrow. Long term fuel trims . It mixes out to e27. But heard this station is tad low on percent. My coworker says it tests to 65% alcohol. He runs it in his zl1.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220716-165308_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220716-165308_Chrome.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI, that “highest” timing parameter is the sum of each added (or subtracted) timing value, not a single max value.

As the engine operates, the ECU always adds timing in specific amounts, around 1 deg, until it gets a tiny knock event, then subtracts a specific amount to stop it. These specific amounts, added and/or subtracted, are set in the tune and the flash-tuning software I’ve used makes them available for the tuner to adjust.

So, more info than you asked, but I felt I should explain the data monitor just a bit because it isn’t obvious. Well, it wasn’t obvious to me when I first used it.

Anyway(!) your answer is “yes”, the E85 mix added more timing than your “normal” fuel.

If you also take a look at the LTFT you will see it is adding fuel to hit the AFR target. If it is more than say +10%, then you might want to add some gasoline. Goose can set you up with a tune for just about any amount of E85 you want to run. These EcoBoost engines will make significantly more power running the corn whiskey!
Thanks for the info.