Determing to buy a Gen 1 or Gen 2, interesting observation so far

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blockaderunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you already have all those cons in your mind then maybe you should be looking at a Toyota or a Prius.
If your bad stats come from a guy named bravo3eco then FYI he doesn't own a Raptor and has a personal hard on for the 3.5 phaser issues.
Like goblues said, go drive one and you'll be sold. Raptor is the most well designed and built factory 4 X 4 on the market today.
The 3.5 will go from 0 to 60 in and around 6 seconds (without a modified tune). If you buy a Screw there is so much room in the back 2 can sleep comfortably on the floor.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pros and cons list is ignorant...at best. I suggest doing your research. The V6 is pretty bullet proof and is better that the V8 in EVERY SINGLE aspect...except sound. The Gen2 has better clearance and the benefits go on and on. The transmission is amazing and went through early growing pains like any other new tech but is fantastic now. People who complain mostly don't understand what they have. The Gen1 is a great truck it's just that Ford upgraded it in every way for the Gen 2 and the 19 model was sort of a mid cycle refresh tech wise. Do your research and get the gen or year that best fits your needs/wants or budget....or wait for the Gen 3...but if you do that then expect growing pains as with any new model.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your pros and cons list is ignorant...at best. I suggest doing your research. The V6 is pretty bullet proof and is better that the V8 in EVERY SINGLE aspect...except sound. The Gen2 has better clearance and the benefits go on and on. The transmission is amazing and went through early growing pains like any other new tech but is fantastic now. People who complain mostly don't understand what they have. The Gen1 is a great truck it's just that Ford upgraded it in every way for the Gen 2 and the 19 model was sort of a mid cycle refresh tech wise. Do your research and get the gen or year that best fits your needs/wants or budget....or wait for the Gen 3...but if you do that then expect growing pains as with any new model.

Yes. What he said.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm honest...

1. I bought the Gen2 because it looks ******* spectacular. Since its TT, that means more power that is hidden at stock. Interior is not too shabby either.

Had the first opportunity to look at my Gen1 next to a Gen2 for the first time today.

After looking around here and seeing all the Gen2s, I was like damn my shit looks old.

But after doing an honest comparison in the parking lot I have to say I like my Gen1 look better. I do wish I had the new tech but I guess I could install that eventually.

The Gen2, for me, doesn’t have a beefy look to it. It does have some more angles which look mean, but the tapered rear and the hideous (IMO) tailgate take away from the truck.

After waking around the Gen2 a couple times I was glad I got a Gen1. The grill is still nice on the Gen2 though

C31366A5-B7E0-4462-92CE-80AF01CB8A62.jpeg

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the first opportunity to look at my Gen1 next to a Gen2 for the first time today.

After looking around here and seeing all the Gen2s, I was like damn my shit looks old.

But after doing an honest comparison in the parking lot I have to say I like my Gen1 look better. I do wish I had the new tech but I guess I could install that eventually.

The Gen2, for me, doesn’t have a beefy look to it. It does have some more angles which look mean, but the tapered rear and the hideous (IMO) tailgate take away from the truck.

After waking around the Gen2 a couple times I was glad I got a Gen1. The grill is still nice on the Gen2 though

View attachment 130881

Glad you like your truck...no accounting for taste:)

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are many factors...

Durability
Looks
Tunability
Price point

This thing is a liability, as most vehicles are, so enjoy it before they all become hybrid/electric BAJA jumping animals lol.

OP
OP
G

gtbguy

Reaction score
If you already have all those cons in your mind then maybe you should be looking at a Toyota or a Prius.

I don't think I'll be doing that. :)

Everybody posting on this forum has lots of good information and experiences to share. I wasn't trying to pit one against the other. Being a retired engineer, I love data.