Demand Problem? So many dealers sitting on lots of Raptors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRAPTOR123

Reaction score
It seems like here in so cal dealers are starting to discount. I have seen some websites saying “no markup” and even advertising discounts.

There are already so many raptors around here and only so many people interested in this type of vehicle willing to pay that much.

I think the deals are coming

gtbguy

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy a used one and the dealers here in NM are trying to sell me a new 2018 or 2019. Below MSRP is quite easy to get. An earlier post indicated they built way too many 2019s even when they aren't selling the 2018s?? I think the demand is not as high as one would like. In all my years in buying vehicles, I've yet to see three model years of the same vehicle on the lot. I'm thinking its going to happen. Remember a Raptor (or any "specialty vehicle") is a want and not a need.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in 1966, Winchester came out with a special rifle, a "commemorative '66"...and the demand for them exploded through the roof. So, instead of leaving things as they were, they restarted production of that rifle, and ended up making about 160,000 of these so called "collectors" rifles, and then (to top it off) they started cranking out "commemoratives" for everything from various states, to Buffalo Bill, to US presidents, to whatever they could think up....

Net result? These rifles are now regarded as near worthless. What was once highly sought after is now viewed as the starting point of building a custom lever action because the parts are so cheap and easy to get.

FMC has effectively done the same thing. By disbanding SVT and turning the Raptor into just another trim level, and cranking production to the moon, you'll now see dozens of Raptors just sitting on dealer lots. Local to me, at Evergreen Ford in Issaquah, they have at least two dozen of them at any given time, and they are not (what you'd call) "moving real quick". They shuffle them around the lot every few days, but the same trucks seem to sit there week after week, month after month. Especially the Shelby Raptors with their $120,000.00 stickers.

In the future, I think that the only Raptors which will hold any significant value 10-20 years from new will be the Gen 1's. If you want a full on race truck or just want to thrash a rig, the Gen 2 would be a great bet. Has a better shock package, and Ford is clearly willing to flood the market with them, so getting another one probably won't be much of an issue, at least until they stop building gasoline engines in vehicles.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find your combo for $6k-7k off MSRP... that’s below invoice. You are not going to get any more than that.

Regarding 2019s on the lot...

1) We are still in the middle of the model year... you won’t see the first 2020 until December.

2) There will be 2019s on the lots throughout the 2020 year. Dealers don’t sweat it... allows them to hold 2020 prices high while offering discounts (down to invoice) on the 2019s.

gtbguy

Reaction score
In the future, I think that the only Raptors which will hold any significant value 10-20 years from new will be the Gen 1's. If you want a full on race truck or just want to thrash a rig, the Gen 2 would be a great bet. Has a better shock package, and Ford is clearly willing to flood the market with them, so getting another one probably won't be much of an issue, at least until they stop building gasoline engines in vehicles.

For me personally the Gen2s have "the look". The Gen1s have the V8. My brother-in-law has a 2007 F-150, V8 with 408K miles and is still going strong. He is completely sold on the Ford V8 and for me, this is one reason I'm looking only at V8 Raptor models. I keep vehicles for a long time (currently have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline I bought new now has 286K miles) and a V8 Raptor, I believe will be something I can enjoy for a long time. Long term value, I've lost money on EVERY vehicle I've owned so the Raptor value 10-20 years from now is insignificant to me. I just want something that will out live me!

Unknown

Reaction score
Wow, thats crazy to have 2018's this late into the 2019 model year.. I can see having some in March, but beyond that is just dumb business. Car dealerships aren't museums, the longer the trucks sit the less they are worth.

I agree and they will more than likely have a bunch of 2019s on the lot well into the 2020 model year. They had absolutely no interest in negotiating in any way on the price when I went in to talk to them. They acted like a price below MSRP was more mysterious than Bigfoot!! They didn’t even attempt to offer a deal that might get me to buy from them. Their loss!! In an email I told them exactly what I got and what I got it for.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Value of Gen 2 SCAB's might be different as there are not that many. I have heard its as high as 1:10 SCABS to SCREWS.
I was thinking that too. Hope you’re right. I ordered a scab. Screws are everywhere and it’s much harder to find a scab on a lot much less get a deal on one.