Deflation Pressures for Desert Driving (Sand)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mineratron

Reaction score
Coming in fresh to “light” truck ownership from 4x4… have a 2014 Supercab Stage 2 Roush running Method bead “look” rims and Stock 315LT fitment Yokohama Geolandar G015 tyres. Normal pressures are around 41psi IIRC, what would be safe for brisk sand driving whilst avoiding risk of pop outs?

For comparison I run 12psi on the Geolandar G012 on my SWB Mitsubishi Pajero with OE Enkei 16” rims off another model and its fine, maybe 14psi front if there’s a lot of cross cresting and side cresting to be done. It weighs around 2200kg though vs the Raptor which is IRO 3500kg I think (x2.2 for you guys :D ).

OP
OP
Mineratron

Mineratron

Reaction score
Went with 15psi, G015 LT fitment. Was ok, no issues. Wasn’t a heavy session, L1-2 stuff for the bulk of the convoy and drive. Just out for a first desert drive in the Raptor to get a feel for it. Had some fun near the back enjoying the sound of the exhaust, air intake and supercharger. Sounds great, power was endless.

One of our Marshalls normally runs 12psi but he has actual bead lock methods. Not bead look like mine.

50% pressure a good rule of thumb.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just ran 10psi rear, 12psi front, on toyo m/t in the dunes without beadlocks and while I didn't do a lot of drifting, I had plenty of traction and floatation.. no problems with knocking a bead loose ever before and I usually hit the silver lake dunes in Michigan 3 or 4 times a year.. I think 10psi is perfect for sand dunes but desert running on a hard surface, I'd probably go around 18 to 20psi if there's drifting and slidingSnapchat-1695566153.jpg

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 12psi at SLSD with my Method bead grips. I do tend to get sideways a couple times but nothing too aggressive. Haven't had any issues yet.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ran 10psi rear, 12psi front, on toyo m/t in the dunes without beadlocks and while I didn't do a lot of drifting, I had plenty of traction and floatation.. no problems with knocking a bead loose ever before and I usually hit the silver lake dunes in Michigan 3 or 4 times a year.. I think 10psi is perfect for sand dunes but desert running on a hard surface, I'd probably go around 18 to 20psi if there's drifting and slidingView attachment 372238
and your excuse for getting stuck was to take a picture right?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
and your excuse for getting stuck was to take a picture right?

lol. it was scary, being sunday evening, pouring down rain and only about 3 other vehicles in the place... the jeep acted like he didnt see me flashing my streamlight at him, and then the 90s S10 Jimmy couldn't make it up to where i was, but some nice boys in a $200 silverado saved the day (they were sending it)... i only needed to be pulled back about 6ft to get the tires back on the ground, but i did think i was spending the night on the hill...