Deflation Pressures for Desert Driving (Sand)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mineratron

Mineratron

Reaction score
@bobbybee my Methods are only bead look. :Big Laugh: We were out on a mixed level drive, was first drive for a lot of people for a while including some of the L1/L2 drivers and first chance to get the Raptor out for me after not driving for ages (been on two wheels all summer:sparta:) so happy to just go with the flow to get a feel for the truck. The power is insane but it’s a lot longer than the SWB Pajero, also a lot longer and wider across the bonnet, breaking over took a bit of getting used to (had the Pajero 8yrs and it in the desert a lot, also not bothered about breaking it :Big Laugh:) literally just got back from two days in Liwa, got a better feel for it now.

Different experience, power is insane, no centre diff lock is pain for something so long and powerful… found it easier to go straight to rear diff lock or RDL+4Low to avoid it digging into the softer stuff and self recoveries… rear diff lock in the Pajero is last resort with 4HLc/4LLc, last thing to try before radioing for a recovery. :emotions33:SWB Pajero with a supercharger and another 100+hp would be perfect.:signs8:

If I was going to use the Raptor more in the dunes (which I may for drives and camping) the stock suspension would need to go… through choppy climbs with little ledges, its not got enough high speed compression to stay high in the stroke in the g-outs and needs more rebound to slow down the stroke… just tends to compress hard and unload fast and with 590hp it’s a massive earth mover shredding the trail for the cars behind. :sorrysign:

What suspension setup you got on yours? Looks nicely lifted. :cool:

bobbybee

Reaction score
@bobbybee my Methods are only bead look. :Big Laugh: We were out on a mixed level drive, was first drive for a lot of people for a while including some of the L1/L2 drivers and first chance to get the Raptor out for me after not driving for ages (been on two wheels all summer:sparta:) so happy to just go with the flow to get a feel for the truck. The power is insane but it’s a lot longer than the SWB Pajero, also a lot longer and wider across the bonnet, breaking over took a bit of getting used to (had the Pajero 8yrs and it in the desert a lot, also not bothered about breaking it :Big Laugh:) literally just got back from two days in Liwa, got a better feel for it now.

Different experience, power is insane, no centre diff lock is pain for something so long and powerful… found it easier to go straight to rear diff lock or RDL+4Low to avoid it digging into the softer stuff and self recoveries… rear diff lock in the Pajero is last resort with 4HLc/4LLc, last thing to try before radioing for a recovery. :emotions33:SWB Pajero with a supercharger and another 100+hp would be perfect.:signs8:

If I was going to use the Raptor more in the dunes (which I may for drives and camping) the stock suspension would need to go… through choppy climbs with little ledges, its not got enough high speed compression to stay high in the stroke in the g-outs and needs more rebound to slow down the stroke… just tends to compress hard and unload fast and with 590hp it’s a massive earth mover shredding the trail for the cars behind. :sorrysign:

What suspension setup you got on yours? Looks nicely lifted. :cool:
Oh man I know the feeling, the nose of the truck feels like it pointing skyward forever when straight cresting. Not a nice feeling. Definitely not like an FJ, yeah no need to worry about breaking the Pajero as parts are plentiful. I’ve not had the pleasure of Liwa yet. I done myself a mischief in Al Qudra of all places. I swear that place is my nemesis. The raptor is a monster in the soft sand 3 low and just go ( I only really use the rear locker when I’m playing). Yours must be fantastic with that extra 100 bhp . I must admit I was happy with the stock suspension - it suited my driving style. My current suspension is icon stage 4. Completely different to stock. Now for my qudra disaster photos . Hopefully got some quotes this week now that the national day celebrations are over.

Attachments

• 1B26B646-89B5-4956-AE65-CD3DBC9B5C52.jpeg
    1B26B646-89B5-4956-AE65-CD3DBC9B5C52.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 8
  • F0FCA727-1681-42BF-8004-878F08BA7B09.jpeg
    F0FCA727-1681-42BF-8004-878F08BA7B09.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 4059997C-47BD-4DB4-B10E-1816BDE6C27E.jpeg
    4059997C-47BD-4DB4-B10E-1816BDE6C27E.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 6BBE32F8-884B-4CC2-B40C-9F2DEF3D7196.jpeg
    6BBE32F8-884B-4CC2-B40C-9F2DEF3D7196.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Mineratron

Mineratron

Reaction score
No bueno @bobbybee that looks expensive. :frown: Front diff?

What’s the Icon 4 like? My mate's Raptor came with Icon 3 kit, rides well. Another driving buddy has Fox 3.0 on his… priced them up at TORC when ordering a replacement Roush intake… big *** of cash. o_O Cone Valve forks and Trax shock expensive.:p

Used to ride up Al Qudra a lot when we lived in the Ranches and for a wile after as it was familiar for the Mrs. Some of it looks easy but there’s lots of stuff that’ll trick you into that sort of damage. Easy to get caught out… learned a few hard lessons on the bike. :frown:

Usually ride Al Khaznah / Al Khatim area between Al Faya truck road and Sweihan and drive the dunes Sweihan to Al Ain. That’s my third trip to the crescent area, the dunes are something else. Well worth a trip. Fun in the Pajero too… it can go too. ;)

78086D9F-8B69-45B8-A4EB-CB2500D7919A.jpeg

Power in the Raptor is insane though… it’s like cheating. :p

15AC30BA-BD15-406B-BFAE-59D2AF7458CA.jpeg
2358A274-3DC0-4152-A0BB-AD1450324BB3.jpeg
82027AAA-1768-4D92-903F-2810FC3B57D9.jpeg
Canuck flag was my mate’s by the way… still not got round to replacing them yet.

bobbybee

Reaction score
No bueno @bobbybee that looks expensive. :frown: Front diff?

What’s the Icon 4 like? My mate's Raptor came with Icon 3 kit, rides well. Another driving buddy has Fox 3.0 on his… priced them up at TORC when ordering a replacement Roush intake… big *** of cash. o_O Cone Valve forks and Trax shock expensive.:p

Used to ride up Al Qudra a lot when we lived in the Ranches and for a wile after as it was familiar for the Mrs. Some of it looks easy but there’s lots of stuff that’ll trick you into that sort of damage. Easy to get caught out… learned a few hard lessons on the bike. :frown:

Usually ride Al Khaznah / Al Khatim area between Al Faya truck road and Sweihan and drive the dunes Sweihan to Al Ain. That’s my third trip to the crescent area, the dunes are something else. Well worth a trip. Fun in the Pajero too… it can go too. ;)

View attachment 382882

Power in the Raptor is insane though… it’s like cheating. :p

View attachment 382883
View attachment 382884
View attachment 382885
Canuck flag was my mate’s by the way… still not got round to replacing them yet.
Sorry for the late reply dude…. Too busy enjoying Christmas and New Year.

I like the icons much better than stock. Although I must admit my icons are set for the desert and I can’t be bothered adjusting them all the time for on and offroad. So on the tarmac the ride is very firm and crashy. Yeah despite Qudra breaking my truck and my bones I love it there. Nice soft sand and plenty of places to drift. I can only imagine what that extra power will do on your raptor. It must be a complete monster.

OP
OP
Mineratron

Mineratron

Reaction score
No worries... was enjoying it plenty myself... didn't do much driving though! :drink_nl: aye, thing is a beast in the dunes... sounds amazing too. Know what you mean about the suspension, same on the bike, not one do it all setting, all windows... desert setup is hard, rattle your teeth out on the MX track / gatch. o_O