Deep Sleep Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRaptor2018

Reaction score
Got an important lesson in the Deep Sleep Mode problem today... quite aggravating for a while.

I have been out of town for 2 weeks. At about the 10 day point I got a FordPass message stating my Raptor went into "Deep Sleep Mode".

Didn't think much about it... figured when I got home it would start up manually despite the loss of some of the more hi-tech gadgetry.

Because I had quite a bit of luggage between a colleague and I - I asked my wife to pick me up at the airport this morning. She has a sedan and it wouldn't fit all our bags so I suggested she take the Raptor. I warned her about the deep sleep mode assuming the remote start would not work... and the remote may not even unlock the doors.

Well... when she went to start the truck nothing worked. Absolutely nothing. Not the remote, not the power door locks, not the ignition, no lights... She got into the car using the key inside the keyfob... Once inside nothing else worked.

First she called the dealer who never heard of Deep Sleep Mode. Then she tried Ford who gave her instructions that involved placing both keys in the cup holder pressing the start button etc etc etc.... (basically the MyKey instructions). Eventually the dealer called back and gave her the same instructions as Ford...

Needless to say she did not pick us up at the airport... When I finally got home I dutifully retried everything Ford suggested including scheduling a start from the FordPass app and from my computer.... nothing worked.... Even did some online research of my own... but all I found was a bunch of aggravated Raptor owners...

I then called Ford for roadside assistance. They offered no new suggestions but said they would send someone out. When the guy got there - he was a simple tow truck operator with no knowledge/training about Fords... He said he had seen Raptors - but never this close.... and he knew nothing about how to wake a 2018 Raptor out of Deep Sleep Mode.

I figured since he was there we might as well try to jump it... Even though it was less than 2 months old and had 1100 miles on it... let's not ignore the obvious...

To make a long story short: the problem was a dead battery.... the Raptor apparently entered the deep sleep mode, but it was either too late - or the drain on the battery continued to the point where the battery was virtually dead... no lights, no nothing.... He had to charge the battery a bit... and when he did the dash lights came on. It still would not turn over... but after a few minutes of charging... eventually it turned over and started.

It made me wonder how many of the online complaints about the Deep Sleep Mode problem are actually dead battery problems.... It also made me realize the importance of not letting the vehicle get to that point just because I am traveling. A remote start every few days while traveling is probably a good idea.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My mom's Lincoln mkz did something similar a few weeks ago. Just connecting the battery jumper box woke it up and it started right up. I think if the ecu reads under a certain voltage it shuts down and won't do anything until it sees normal voltage and a start command.

She took it in and they replaced the battery, but I bet it was probably ok

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Why not just say, battery needs charging?!

Idling every few days, is that enuff to charge the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 weeks without starting a vehicle should not be enough to kill a battery, unless there are aftermarket products that are drawing additional current. i have had vehicles sit for longer and not had an issue starting. i was just gone for 9 days and my truck sat the entire time. came back and started right up. as most people here know just how much aftermarket crap i got on my truck, mine should be the first to have a dead battery

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2 weeks without starting a vehicle should not be enough to kill a battery, unless there are aftermarket products that are drawing additional current. i have had vehicles sit for longer and not had an issue starting. i was just gone for 9 days and my truck sat the entire time. came back and started right up. as most people here know just how much aftermarket crap i got on my truck, mine should be the first to have a dead battery

deep sleep mode lol, talk about over thinking it! i can laugh because i started tearing apart a motorcycle carb and it was only out of gas.
Anyways i have a few cars that sit for sometimes months on end, the ones that i know are going to sit i leave on a battery tender, another car i drive a little more often and the battery has been dead after sitting for a couple weeks. The culprit...a bluetooth obd scanner I leave plugged in (or at least used to) unplugged that and now it hasn't been an issue

OP
OP
RedRaptor2018

RedRaptor2018

Reaction score
So what do folks think... some seem to think we "overthought" a simple dead battery believing it to be one of those "Deep Sleep" failure to wake up cases where the truck does not want to wake up despite having a full charge.

Others think it was in fact the deep sleep issue that was solved by applying a charge to the battery...

How would we know which it is? In some respects I was lucky because this took place at my house and I was not rushing off to some event. Often I park in long term parking at the airport... this could have been much more difficult.

Has anyone else here experienced a Deep Sleep problem where you had a difficult time getting the vehicle to wake up?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
How did you get a dead battery?

Seriously, the shortest I’ve lost a car battery was 4 years, from a tiny Subaru battery - dead cell. My ’01 Lightning went a tick under 7 years before it started to crank slow when it was cold. about the 3rd time it gave the slow crank I thought to myself I couldn’t remember if I’d changed the battery since --new--

I hadn’t. I went to the next weekend and changed the battery before it failed on me. I’m not ruling out a bad apple battery but it sounds like something is up.

OP
OP
RedRaptor2018

RedRaptor2018

Reaction score
How did you get a dead battery?

Seriously, the shortest I’ve lost a car battery was 4 years, from a tiny Subaru battery - dead cell. My ’01 Lightning went a tick under 7 years before it started to crank slow when it was cold. about the 3rd time it gave the slow crank I thought to myself I couldn’t remember if I’d changed the battery since --new--

I hadn’t. I went to the next weekend and changed the battery before it failed on me. I’m not ruling out a bad apple battery but it sounds like something is up.

I guess the problem is I'm not sure I did have a dead battery... As downforce137 suggested maybe it was actually that the truck was stuck in the dreaded Deep Sleep mode... and the jump/battery charger woke it up...

Seriously - has no one gone through this? I mean we can keep discussing this among folks who have no idea what happened - (myself included) but I really thought there would be folks who actually have been through this that could weigh in.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From ford site: "I attempted to use my system after my vehicle was parked for more than 3 days and it responded that my vehicle was in Power Save Mode and I needed to schedule a wake-up time, what is the reason for this?
Your system is designed to protect your vehicle from draining its battery when the vehicle is parked for an extended period of time. In order to preserve your vehicle’s battery the Remote Access system will go into a "sleep" mode. Your Remote Access system can be "woken" from this mode in two ways. One is to turn the ignition on in the vehicle using your factory key or you can schedule a "wake-up" time through your Remote Access mobile phone app or web portal. Please note that it may take up to twelve hours for the "wake-up" process to complete. Please see the on-line User's Guide for more information on Power Save Mode."

https://my.fordremoteaccess.com/FAQs

:mwah1:

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum - View Single Post - Dead Battery

fyi

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an important lesson in the Deep Sleep Mode problem today... quite aggravating for a while.

I have been out of town for 2 weeks. At about the 10 day point I got a FordPass message stating my Raptor went into "Deep Sleep Mode".

Didn't think much about it... figured when I got home it would start up manually despite the loss of some of the more hi-tech gadgetry.

Because I had quite a bit of luggage between a colleague and I - I asked my wife to pick me up at the airport this morning. She has a sedan and it wouldn't fit all our bags so I suggested she take the Raptor. I warned her about the deep sleep mode assuming the remote start would not work... and the remote may not even unlock the doors.

Well... when she went to start the truck nothing worked. Absolutely nothing. Not the remote, not the power door locks, not the ignition, no lights... She got into the car using the key inside the keyfob... Once inside nothing else worked.

First she called the dealer who never heard of Deep Sleep Mode. Then she tried Ford who gave her instructions that involved placing both keys in the cup holder pressing the start button etc etc etc.... (basically the MyKey instructions). Eventually the dealer called back and gave her the same instructions as Ford...

Needless to say she did not pick us up at the airport... When I finally got home I dutifully retried everything Ford suggested including scheduling a start from the FordPass app and from my computer.... nothing worked.... Even did some online research of my own... but all I found was a bunch of aggravated Raptor owners...

I then called Ford for roadside assistance. They offered no new suggestions but said they would sent someone out. When the guy got there - he was a simple tow truck operator with no knowledge/training about Fords... He said he had seen Raptors - but never this close.... and he knew nothing about how to wake a 2018 Raptor out of Deep Sleep Mode.

I figured since he was there we might as well try to jump it... Even though it was less than 2 months old and had 1100 miles on it... let's not ignore the obvious...

To make a long story short: the problem was a dead battery.... the Raptor apparently entered the deep sleep mode, but it was either too late - or the drain on the battery continued to the point where the battery was virtually dead... no lights, no nothing.... He had to charge the battery a bit... and when he did the dash lights came on. It still would not turn over... but after a few minutes of charging... eventually it turned over and started.

It made me wonder how many of the online complaints about the Deep Sleep Mode problem are actually dead battery problems.... It also made me realize the importance of not letting the vehicle get to that point just because I am traveling. A remote start every few days while traveling is probably a good idea.

Here is a good article.