Deep Sleep / Battery Issue - gauge reads 14.5v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something does sound fishy here. But It’s not a 30 minute drive.

It’s two 15 mile drives with 8-10 hours in the parking lot, with maybe even a short hop for lunch.

The drive starts with a low battery. Temp is cold enough for hvac fan and heated seats to be running. It’s most likely dark so the lights are on. Part of the drive is Highway and part stop and go.

This likely isn’t enough to top up the battery.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Something does sound fishy here. But It’s not a 30 minute drive.

It’s two 15 mile drives with 8-10 hours in the parking lot, with maybe even a short hop for lunch.

The drive starts with a low battery. Temp is cold enough for hvac fan and heated seats to be running. It’s most likely dark so the lights are on. Part of the drive is Highway and part stop and go.

This likely isn’t enough to top up the battery.
So, the vehicle sat for two weeks until November 1st when I returned from overseas. First time I received message was when I was away, since returning it been back and forth to work, lunch, maybe weekend errands. Last couple of weeks not much weekend stuff, and its been colder. Messages started again. Maybe it's telling me I need a 6+ hour drive/weekend up to Moab, Utah!! :cool:

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ask FTO, that 14.5v might be with the alternator charging at 14.5v. Use a multimeter to check battery charge after the vehicle sits overnight, WITH THE ENGINE OFF (not running).

You sure could have a parasitic gremlin. You can test this with a multimeter as well. Either google search how to track down the parasitic draw or maybe FTO will give a simplified explanation.

Those 20 mile commuting drives might not be replacing all of the charge deficit. Giving it a full charge with a high quality battery charger once a week might solve your issue.

There was a very informative thread on one of the Ford forums from a mechanic who’s F150 suffered from low charge due to short commutes. Maybe someone remembers where that is?

I use this Victron unit:

I really like the X2 power batts. I go by how much does the battery weigh when choosing a new one. Those X2’s are heavy.

FWIW I replaced the battery in my 2018 Raptor with a factory battery because it was a bit heavier than the X2Power.

I think there was a post on the weights of X2Power/Motorcraft/Odyssey Red Top recently. All three were roughly the same.

Good luck with solving your drain issue and make sure to get back to us with the solution. This helps us all.

I’m happy to see that this forum is morphing towards supplying useful information as our vehicles age.

I’m active in three other forums that have amazing communities of helpful members. One is the solar forum sponsored by Arizona Wind and Sun, the other two are an OBS Ford forum and the Alfa Romeo BB.

I’m looking forward to FRF’s continued growth.

Thanks moderators for the forum!
In my mechanical opinion (and I'm not an expert but turn my own wrenches) the best way to test a battery is:

1. Disconnect the battery completely from the vehicle, positive and negative.
2. Take a current voltage reading
3. Let the battery sit for 24 hours and take a reading and look for a drop
4. If possible, let the battery sit for 48 hours and take a reading and look for a drop.

This is all dependent on if you can be without the vehicle for a day or two.

I'm assuming the factory battery is under warranty until the 3/36k mile warranty, but how about after that? I have an 8 year 150k extended warranty. I don't think the battery would be covered under that.

So if all batteries are the same and the warranty is up at 3/36 then I'm taking the 4 year warranty on the X2.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the vehicle sat for two weeks until November 1st when I returned from overseas. First time I received message was when I was away, since returning it been back and forth to work, lunch, maybe weekend errands. Last couple of weeks not much weekend stuff, and its been colder. Messages started again. Maybe it's telling me I need a 6+ hour drive/weekend up to Moab, Utah!! :cool:
OP. This does sound like a run down battery. If it was me I would hook the Victron charger up to the battery and give it a complete charge.

The Victron also has a recondition mode that can bring a battery back to life.

I’m trying the recondition mode on one of the X2 batteries in my old F250. I bought these X2’s in Sep 2014, so the service life of 8 years has been amazing.

For the past six years these batteries have sat disconnected for 5-6 months each summer. I’ve also run them flat a couple of times.

I’m convinced that using the smart charger has helped extend the life of my X2s.

As an aside, I use battery #2 in the F250 to run an ARB fridge. In hot weather I need to be driving a minimum of 45 minutes at highway speed to keep this battery from going flat.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give the battery a top off with a charger. I read a long time ago that the modern charging systems in cars don’t fully charge AGM batteries. I do it once a month minimum. As others have said, theres a lot of electronics in these trucks and the shorter drives don’t compensate for the draw. Make sure you connect the charger correctly, not to the battery terminals, so the system recognizes the charge. Like you said, first time was after it sat for a bit. Battery got really low and hasn’t been able to get a full charge.

I’d reset the BMS just to be safe. Easy to do, instructions are in the manual and then be sure to let it sit without waking the system up for the 12 hrs.

I’ve gotten the low battery message from time to time and attributed it to having the key too close. Even if it’s inside your house but somewhat close to the truck I’m pretty sure it keeps waking the system up and depleting the battery. I keep one of those cases that blocks radio signals in my truck and my house. Use it when camping because I can’t get the key far enough from the truck and at home to prevent theft.

Also, that 14.5 volts isn’t your battery voltage, that’s the alternator. Battery would have to be measured from the battery after letting it sit for a bit not right after charging/driving.

Last edited: