Deep Sleep / Battery Issue - gauge reads 14.5v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Searched and didn't necessarily see anything that answered/solved my question. GEN3 and recently over the last two weeks getting FordPass Connect notification of deep sleep mode to preserve battery anytime I let the vehicle sit for about 48 hours. It's been colder than usual here, 1st winter with Gen3, with temperatures at night in the 20's and days in 40's. No aux left on, no accessory wired to battery, generator power off, perimeter light option off, no battery tender. Daily driver M-F. Started it this AM after getting message with gauges reading 14.5v. Not sure what/where to look next.

IMG_0622.jpegIMG_0623.jpeg

Last edited:

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's been mentioned a few times on the forum so far, but I don't know if there has been a solution. Mine finally did this on Monday for the first time, and it only sat for 3 hours after a 20-mile drive to work.

I had a different post asking about aftermarket battery options. Another member said that the factory battery is just as good as all the other aftermarket brands, but I just can't wrap my head around that one. I really don't think Ford spent the money on these batteries or maybe because of production issues they let them sit for a long period of time before they shipped out and therefore these things are toast.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/battery-replacement-size-and-jump-pack.94940/

Step one for me is getting a proper jump pack, as I already have cables in the truck. Step two, I am waiting for some type of sale or mail-in rebate on the X2 Power Premium Battery and I will be stopping into a store locally by me to take some measurements to see what fits. When I had to remove my battery and tray to find my AUX wires last week, it seemed like the tray was about 2" bigger than the battery, maybe a little bit more. I'm wondering what type of battery I can fit in there.

The X2 is the only battery I know of that has a 4-year warranty. The red tops, yellow tops and interstate are all 3 year. In the land of Jeeps where I was for the past 14 years, we wouldn't put too much priority on AH but rather the CCA, along with the weight of the battery. More lead equals more run time. I just like that extra year of warranty if they are all almost similar, but I would love to hear some feedback from other members. I'm sure the yellow tops and red tops will go on sale of some sort in the next 6 months.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli94ragmdp

Having a proper working battery really helps to sort out electrical problems. As soon as the battery has issues all sorts of weird electrical gremlins come out. I'd love to hear from anyone running a different battery.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
It's been mentioned a few times on the forum so far, but I don't know if there has been a solution. Mine finally did this on Monday for the first time, and it only sat for 3 hours after a 20-mile drive to work.

I had a different post asking about aftermarket battery options. Another member said that the factory battery is just as good as all the other aftermarket brands, but I just can't wrap my head around that one. I really don't think Ford spent the money on these batteries or maybe because of production issues they let them sit for a long period of time before they shipped out and therefore these things are toast.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/battery-replacement-size-and-jump-pack.94940/

Step one for me is getting a proper jump pack, as I already have cables in the truck. Step two, I am waiting for some type of sale or mail-in rebate on the X2 Power Premium Battery and I will be stopping into a store locally by me to take some measurements to see what fits. When I had to remove my battery and tray to find my AUX wires last week, it seemed like the tray was about 2" bigger than the battery, maybe a little bit more. I'm wondering what type of battery I can fit in there.

The X2 is the only battery I know of that has a 4-year warranty. The red tops, yellow tops and interstate are all 3 year. In the land of Jeeps where I was for the past 14 years, we wouldn't put too much priority on AH but rather the CCA, along with the weight of the battery. More lead equals more run time. I just like that extra year of warranty if they are all almost similar, but I would love to hear some feedback from other members. I'm sure the yellow tops and red tops will go on sale of some sort in the next 6 months.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli94ragmdp

Having a proper working battery really helps to sort out electrical problems. As soon as the battery has issues all sorts of weird electrical gremlins come out. I'd love to hear from anyone running a different battery.
Keep us informed!

SRTConvert

Reaction score
Had a similar problem with my 2020 Navigator (same engine, etc.) . Replace 3 batteries in a 1 year period, at the dealer for long periods of time. Finally tracked down the problem. The TCU, on an intermittent basis, was not shutting down and caused a 3.5 amp parasitic drain. No problems since this was resolved.

Find a dealer who will spend the time to diagnose the problem. It really helped that my Lincoln is a Black Label and the Lincoln Concierge stayed on top of the Lincoln dealer and engaged Lincoln Engineering.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask FTO, that 14.5v might be with the alternator charging at 14.5v. Use a multimeter to check battery charge after the vehicle sits overnight, WITH THE ENGINE OFF (not running).

You sure could have a parasitic gremlin. You can test this with a multimeter as well. Either google search how to track down the parasitic draw or maybe FTO will give a simplified explanation.

Those 20 mile commuting drives might not be replacing all of the charge deficit. Giving it a full charge with a high quality battery charger once a week might solve your issue.

There was a very informative thread on one of the Ford forums from a mechanic who’s F150 suffered from low charge due to short commutes. Maybe someone remembers where that is?

I use this Victron unit:

I really like the X2 power batts. I go by how much does the battery weigh when choosing a new one. Those X2’s are heavy.

FWIW I replaced the battery in my 2018 Raptor with a factory battery because it was a bit heavier than the X2Power.

I think there was a post on the weights of X2Power/Motorcraft/Odyssey Red Top recently. All three were roughly the same.

Good luck with solving your drain issue and make sure to get back to us with the solution. This helps us all.

I’m happy to see that this forum is morphing towards supplying useful information as our vehicles age.

I’m active in three other forums that have amazing communities of helpful members. One is the solar forum sponsored by Arizona Wind and Sun, the other two are an OBS Ford forum and the Alfa Romeo BB.

I’m looking forward to FRF’s continued growth.

Thanks moderators for the forum!

dthiss

Reaction score
My question is how long are your daily drives? These trucks have a high demand on the system and only short jaunts is not enough to overcome the draw.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced mine with a DieHard Platinum AGM Battery: H7 Group Size, 850 CCA, 1000 CA, 140 Min Reserve Capacity, For High Electrical Demands.
No issues now !