Debating Heavier Options for the Rear Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've read through a ton of posts about the soft suspension in the back, and people's solutions for this. Currently I have a 200lb ARE cap on the bed of the truck, and I'm looking to add a Decked system as well (another 220ish lbs). I had some serious squat when loading the truck up for a cross country trip and I'm trying to mitigate it. Airbags seem to be popular, just not for constant loads, so I've been looking at the Deavers. Here are my questions:

+2 SD - For guys that have a constant 400ish pounds in the bed, have they solved the squat while maintaining a factory type ride?

+2 HD - Is this going to be the best option? Don't want to upgrade and have the ride be harsh or kick my ass.

Do I need to install a bump stop kit with the Deavers, or can I just do a straight swap and achieve what I need? I don't want any lift, just to maintain as close to factory ride as possible without the shit load of sag that I get when I want to go hunting or on a trip with full coolers. If I decide not to do the Decked system and it's just the 200lb cap, are the SD springs going to be enough for a few hundred pounds of gear a few times a year? Thanks.

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
subbed.
I have a spare tire, some tools and a jack in the rear right now and its got a nice Cali lean.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm having a cap built currently and then I have a tent to throw on top, a fridge to put in the back, and then all of our stuff we take with us when camp. For what it's worth, I'm looking at the Icon kit. I know other people that have used it with similar loads and have been happy with it. People also tend to speak more highly of the Icon springs over Deaver (based on what I've been reading ...)

OP
OP
KODIAK

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm having a cap built currently and then I have a tent to throw on top, a fridge to put in the back, and then all of our stuff we take with us when camp. For what it's worth, I'm looking at the Icon kit. I know other people that have used it with similar loads and have been happy with it. People also tend to speak more highly of the Icon springs over Deaver (based on what I've been reading ...)

I just read a ton of stuff about the Icon springs making popping noises and a bunch of guys having trouble getting a response from Icon about it.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd go with HD deavers - I have the regular +2 and they are light years better than the puny over sprung oem springs. From what I've read, the HD's aren't any harsher than the non HD, they become stronger as more load (weight) is added as they have more leafs. You should call Deaver directly and talk to them about them.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been hearing it’s best to go with icon too. Especially since they spray the leafs individually for anti corrosion. And icons have a soft spring rate (is that good or bad?) tough to know for sure.

But the icon add a leaf is good for 400lb load . So if you don’t need HD Deavers that recommend 800Lb, The 400lb icon option might be your best bet.

Do both Deavers and icons squeak like an SOB too? I haven’t heard a consensus about that. Or are there anybafternarket bushings that are silent? My stickers have been replaced 2x in 19,000 miles and each off road trip causes an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read a ton of stuff about the Icon springs making popping noises and a bunch of guys having trouble getting a response from Icon about it.

Ah geez, seriously? The stuff I was reading was saying the opposite. Ugh ...

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been hearing it’s best to go with icon too. Especially since they spray the leafs individually for anti corrosion. And icons have a soft spring rate (is that good or bad?) tough to know for sure.

But the icon add a leaf is good for 400lb load . So if you don’t need HD Deavers that recommend 800Lb, The 400lb icon option might be your best bet.

Do both Deavers and icons squeak like an SOB too? I haven’t heard a consensus about that. Or are there anybafternarket bushings that are silent? My stickers have been replaced 2x in 19,000 miles and each off road trip causes an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think all leaf spring systems will start to squeak eventually once enough dirt works into them. I think you just need to make sure they're sprayed from the start and then maybe try to clean them once it starts.

OP
OP
KODIAK

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think all leaf spring systems will start to squeak eventually once enough dirt works into them. I think you just need to make sure they're sprayed from the start and then maybe try to clean them once it starts.

Yep I agree. It is what it is. Dirt and shit will build up and cause it to squeak or make noise eventually. This just blows because my Gen1 didn’t have any issues hauling the same load or towing my boat.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I agree. It is what it is. Dirt and shit will build up and cause it to squeak or make noise eventually. This just blows because my Gen1 didn’t have any issues hauling the same load or towing my boat.

So go get your Gen1 back, modify your Gen2, or change what you're doing. I mean, I get what you're saying, but if you bought a Gen2 to have a large payload, you bought the wrong truck.