GEN 2 Deaver Decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking for opinions on what setup to go with in the rear. I am torn between +2 HD and +3HD. I have an ARE CX topper on my truck, and load up a few times a year for hunting trips or towing my boat. The other 75% of the time it’s just the topper and some miscellaneous **** in the bed. I’m looking to get rid of the sag from the topper and have some reinforcement when I throw extra weight in the back. I want to stay as close as possible to stock height and don’t want/need an expensive bump stop setup when I eliminate the stock bumps. Is the +3HD going to sag back to stock height-ish with just the weight of the topper? Is the +2HD going to be back to stock height with some wiggle room for about 300-350lbs of gear? Thanks in advance.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ARE topper is already s couple hundred pounds, is go with the +3. Correct, over time the springs sag out a bit. I like going a little big at first so you don't have to redo it again 2 years from now when the springs are sacked. Try finding a spring shop to re-arch them. Or shopping them back to Deaver for them to do it is costly too ($200)

OP
OP
KODIAK

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ARE topper is already s couple hundred pounds, is go with the +3. Correct, over time the springs sag out a bit. I like going a little big at first so you don't have to redo it again 2 years from now when the springs are sacked. Try finding a spring shop to re-arch them. Or shopping them back to Deaver for them to do it is costly too ($200)
Yeah I’d bet the topper is about 225 lbs with the racks on it. Didn’t know if that would be enough to return the +3 to stock height and eliminate that extra inch.

BigH2OChief

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of weight in my ARE cap and a large heavy OL load. Deaver said +3 so that’s what I did. Installed I had a saggy *** and it will get worse. I’m already planning to tweak it a bit.

TerribleONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to have quite a bit of rake with the +3hd. I vote +2 if you are leaving the front alone.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just did this just over a month ago, similar situation. Leer cap, dog crate and gear in the back ~250#.
Tow a trailer ~4-6000# several times a year. Installed +3HDs and gives me a good 1” rake in back I’m fine with.
Good ride.

Deaver has been very busy- definitely aren’t returning emails, you just have to call them at various times of day (Pacific time) and eventually someone will answer.

If you have any other questions, PM me.
Installed in just under 3 hrs using a shop hoist.