Deaver +3HD vs +4HD (Confused after all the researching)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kishorejoseph

Reaction score
Hi all, this forum has an abundant amount of information, and there may be answers out there already for this, but I've ultimately gotten more confused reading and asking around while shopping for price.

I have reached out to Apollo Optics, SVC, and Texas Motorwerx. Though they provided very insightful responses, I got mixed answers. So before spending the money and realizing I made a mistake thought I would get one more opinion from here.

I have a recently acquired 2019 raptor screw with close to 35k miles and the rear leaf springs are flat. The truck is barely level as of now. I carry 350lbs constant weight all the time. When I camp/offroad I will carry an additional 200lbs easily with an RTT/gear/etc. I like the stock ride, but I want to get a little bit of rake (I don't want to be nose high).

For the rear, this is what I've been suggested:

+3HD because +4HD is for mid-travel trucks.
+4HD will settle to about 1.5" above stock with my static weight.
+4HD w/ Eibach upfront and drop shackles if needed.

For the bumps:

Camburg w/2.5 Fox b/c 2.0 IFP may not be the best for our heavy trucks.
SVC w/2.0 Fox IFP.

Also adding within the next month, if this suggests I should do something with the front:
Winch, bumper, and FMIC to the front.

What's everyone's suggestion? I'm leaning towards the +4HD and SVC Kit w/2.0 Fox IFP.

I'm hoping this will give me a slight rake with 350lbs in the bed and then level when fully loaded for camping. Once I add the stuff to the front, and if it drops the front too much I can get the Eibach springs until I can afford the Fox Racing 3.0.

I appreciate everyone's contribution to this forum and all the vendors I reached out to! Thanks in advance.

Jeff550

Reaction score
L84HD Is 1" Higher then stock $ HD designed for 500lbs bed weight.
That is the most common.
If you go with the +4hd and run adjustable front shocks, you can fine tune the ride height / Add longer shackles to lower it.

For rear bumps. you should be looking at 2.5" not 2.0s

This is a stock truck with +4HD with SVC collars

Attachments

• image4 (2).jpeg
    image4 (2).jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 229
  • image2 (3).jpeg
    image2 (3).jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 219
OP
OP
K

kishorejoseph

Reaction score
L84HD Is 1" Higher then stock $ HD designed for 500lbs bed weight.
That is the most common.
If you go with the +4hd and run adjustable front shocks, you can fine tune the ride height / Add longer shackles to lower it.

For rear bumps. you should be looking at 2.5" not 2.0s

This is a stock truck with +4HD with SVC collars
Thanks for the reply!

Looking at your photo you look like you're about 1" or so rake front to back which is what I want.

Wondering then if I did the +3HD with Eibach if the truck will be nose high.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Looking at your photo you look like you're about 1" or so rake front to back which is what I want.

I went around and around and around. If you search carefully, people have done all of the relevant mods and posted measurements. What I decided I was doing if I need to is Eibachs and +4 Deavers. If the info I got was right, the +4s are HD, so +4HD is a misnomer. In the end I decided to run it stock until I have an issue. The guys at RA told me that I wouldn't de-arch the stock springs if I didn't overload the rear axle. I'm running right at GVWR and the truck sits level when it's loaded. I've done multiple trips at that weight and my rear ride height is unchanged, so the RA guys look to be right. While I'd like to get rid of the rear axle hop, stock is working for me and I have the warranty.

I would definitely go +4 because if it's too high you can fix it quickly and cheaply with a new shackle. If you go +3 and the rear is lower than you like, your options are not cheap or easy.

Jeff550

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

With the front being adjustable. you can fine tune it for however you want. This truck pic was with no load in.

OP
OP
K

kishorejoseph

Reaction score
I went around and around and around. If you search carefully, people have done all of the relevant mods and posted measurements. What I decided I was doing if I need to is Eibachs and +4 Deavers. If the info I got was right, the +4s are HD, so +4HD is a misnomer. In the end I decided to run it stock until I have an issue. The guys at RA told me that I wouldn't de-arch the stock springs if I didn't overload the rear axle. I'm running right at GVWR and the truck sits level when it's loaded. I've done multiple trips at that weight and my rear ride height is unchanged, so the RA guys look to be right. While I'd like to get rid of the rear axle hop, stock is working for me and I have the warranty.

I would definitely go +4 because if it's too high you can fix it quickly and cheaply with a new shackle. If you go +3 and the rear is lower than you like, your options are not cheap or easy.
That was my thought too, leave it stock until I notice an issue. Which ended up being right away. There's no evidence of offroad use but maybe my previous owner loaded the bed/towed too much. My leaf springs are quite straight with my static carrying load of 300ish pounds.

Seems like a common suggestion on the +4HD at this point, I'm going to have to call my shop again to see if they have those in stock. They are pushing for the +3HDs.

OP
OP
K

kishorejoseph

Reaction score
I'm thinking the right way to go is +4HD and 2.5 bumps with Eibach springs up front.

When things settle and if it looks like the rear end is too high, I'll update the rear to drop shackles.

Is there any negative to using drop shackles?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking the right way to go is +4HD and 2.5 bumps with Eibach springs up front.

When things settle and if it looks like the rear end is too high, I'll update the rear to drop shackles.

Is there any negative to using drop shackles?
+4 with a shackle you might want to look at getting longer brake lines. Others who know more than I should chime in here ...

Jeff550

Reaction score
+4 with a shackle you might want to look at getting longer brake lines. Others who know more than I should chime in here ...
The shocks are the limiting factor so that wouldnt matter if hes running stock location shocks.
BUT, Factory rear lines are already extremely short, so going to stainless +2 or 4" longer lines is always recommended.

OP
OP
K

kishorejoseph

Reaction score
The shocks are the limiting factor so that wouldnt matter if hes running stock location shocks.
BUT, Factory rear lines are already extremely short, so going to stainless +2 or 4" longer lines is always recommended.
Definitely will keep that in mind when it comes time for brakes. Was looking to upgrade them to something a bit beefier all around or grab some of the EBC stuff.