Dealing with service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh321a

Reaction score
So my Raptor's rear wheels are locking up. I read about this on the forum. My issue is that Ford Service in my area has had the car for a week and can't reproduce it. I most recently told them that if they don't actually drive the car for about five miles they are not going to see it. But a week having the car with no solution in sight. Thoughts? Should I just yank the car and bring it to another dealer? Are there independent certified Ford mechanics who might actually get in there and try to solve this problem. It literally feels like they are plugging it into the computer and the computer says nothing wrong so they are at a loss.

OP
OP
J

Josh321a

Reaction score
Rear wheels locking up? That is not something I’ve ever heard of. Can you elaborate? Is the truck completely stock?
Truck is completely stock. I first noticed it when I stopped at grocery store. Tried to back out and thought something was behind the rear wheel. They were locked. I was able to push the car back - trying to force it - with front wheels turning, then I put it in drive (4HA) and wheels dragged. I shifted to Sport Mode thinking maybe going into front wheel drive would cycle it out of what was going on. That seemed to do it.

Next day drove it five miles to work - freeway, surface streets - as I slowed down to turn toward my office the wheels locked up again. Again, messing around, putting it into Sport seemed to unlock them.

At that point I decided I was foolish to have driven it as far as I had - images of me flipping on the Pasadena freeway - so called in the flatbed. Dealer can't make heads or tale.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is that the electric parking brake? If so, I would check the actuators in the rear. How often do you use your park brake? Regardless, I would think that’s where the dealer would start looking.

OP
OP
J

Josh321a

Reaction score
Is that the electric parking brake? If so, I would check the actuators in the rear. How often do you use your park brake? Regardless, I would think that’s where the dealer would start looking.
Thanks for this. Never use the parking brake. But I'll ask them about the actuators and see what they say. I'll drop a note to say where this goes.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no independent shops that are certified by any manufacturer. You may find an independent shop that has technicians with X number of years of experience because they worked for a particular brand.

What’s the frequency of this happening meaning, how long/miles between when it first happened and the second time? How many miles did you drive it before this occur. Have you offered to drive with their technician to see if you can duplicate the concern with him/her?

Don’t lose faith in the dealership simply because they aren’t able to duplicate it, especially if it is intermittent, which it sounds like it may be.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it locks up, hit the e-brake button in the cab as if releasing the e-brake and see it that sets u loose?