Dealership w/o markups, allocation & deposit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
How much inventory do they order from you to typical produce so many builds or days they expect your supply to last on hand? Obviously this type of shortage is far from the norm. But will your orders come to a stop at some point if they cannot build or they will still allocate enough of your parts regardless to future build so many units? I’m just curious how it may work. I can only imagine they will go full steam until something runs out. Interesting times indeed.

Quite honestly, I am in the E-Coat portion (Our product paints the frame, bare metal of bodies for all automobile manufactures as well as Toro, John Deere, Harley Davidson, Whirlpool etc). Basically anything metal that is exposed to elements of weather or harsh environments. I can tell you we were slow first month or so of COVID, then because allot of places where shut down, they took advantage and started ordering from us to do maintenance during down time (yes some people still worked in the plants). Our stuff typically wears out and only can really do heavy housekeeping when you drain paint tanks. Typically the Big 3 shut down for July and December to do this stuff.

For some reason (knock on wood) we are very busy and have been since maybe last April/May. This is a good thing.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quite honestly, I am in the E-Coat portion (Our product paints the frame, bare metal of bodies for all automobile manufactures as well as Toro, John Deere, Harley Davidson, Whirlpool etc). Basically anything metal that is exposed to elements of weather or harsh environments. I can tell you we were slow first month or so of COVID, then because allot of places where shut down, they took advantage and started ordering from us to do maintenance during down time (yes some people still worked in the plants). Our stuff typically wears out and only can really do heavy housekeeping when you drain paint tanks. Typically the Big 3 shut down for July and December to do this stuff.

For some reason (knock on wood) we are very busy and have been since maybe last April/May. This is a good thing.

So your on the equipment end in regards to manufacturing? More like the dip tanks or the robotic sprayers? I can only imagine there was plenty of extra time for maintenance last year.

rosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is an allocation the volume of a model a dealership will get over a set period of time, or is it more of a max inventory level. Meaning that if dealership A and B both get 10 Raptors, dealer A sells 2 and dealer B sells 8...will the both get 10 at the next window of allocations, or will dealer A get 2 while B gets 8?

Also, is there a difference in allocation for customers who have specifically requested a vehicle vs an allocation for general inventory.

As a customer, not really a fan of this system. I much prefer customers, when not buying from dealer inventory, make preorders directly to Ford, with the customer choosing which dealer to take delivery from. Also be nice if dealers were not allowed to charge anything by MSRP on this, so dealers win business based on convenience and service. Leave the negotations for buy from dealer inventory.

Just like the last few responses, lot inventory and special orders are both pulled from the same allotment pool. I had a guy wanting to build a specific navigator and had to wait for allocations to open up. (he's getting a Green Gem Navigator with a Roast interior) :/

I like the way Tesla does it. I think they are able to pull inventory in from pretty much any dealership, from my understanding.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
So your on the equipment end in regards to manufacturing? More like the dip tanks or the robotic sprayers? I can only imagine there was plenty of extra time for maintenance last year.

Exactly, the "dip" tanks. My products filter the paint (think of under your sink filter, but they are about 4ft tall and 8" in dia and then we make the anodes that are charged positive and the car body (or part) is negatively charged. Think of powder coating, but liquid form where the parts are submerged in paint.

Interesting fact - I have been to a Ford plant and have seen cars painted by robotic sprayers (10+ years ago) and I shit you not, they are about 3-5 feet apart and the car coming down the line is painted BLACK and the next car is white. Below the painting area are huge down draft fans (like real deep) that suck the over spray. It is weird seeing that. I can not believe how close they are and not get over spray.

90% of the stuff we paint are first coat (black gray white), only products like Toro and John Deere ECoat their actual final color. Washing Machines are like this too. Only one coat of white paint.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly, the "dip" tanks. My products filter the paint (think of under your sink filter, but they are about 4ft tall and 8" in dia and then we make the anodes that are charged positive and the car body (or part) is negatively charged. Think of powder coating, but liquid form where the parts are submerged in paint.

Interesting fact - I have been to a Ford plant and have seen cars painted by robotic sprayers (10+ years ago) and I shit you not, they are about 3-5 feet apart and the car coming down the line is painted BLACK and the next car is white. Below the painting area are huge down draft fans (like real deep) that suck the over spray. It is weird seeing that. I can not believe how close they are and not get over spray.

90% of the stuff we paint are first coat (black gray white), only products like Toro and John Deere ECoat their actual final color. Washing Machines are like this too. Only one coat of white paint.

Those are some interesting factoids. That is pretty amazing how they make a production line so tight and can paint one color to another literally feet away. How else can you make a million trucks a year otherwise. Your process covers suspension parts as well? I imagine 3rd party suppliers perform there own.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Those are some interesting factoids. That is pretty amazing how they make a production line so tight and can paint one color to another literally feet away. How else can you make a million trucks a year otherwise. Your process covers suspension parts as well? I imagine 3rd party suppliers perform there own.

70% of our customers are automotive/farming/etc. the other 30% are in fact suppliers of the above. I would have to look and see if we have customers that manufacture suspension parts.

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your recommendation for someone who owns a 2019 802A with less than 11,000 miles and wants the 2021? When should I try to sell my truck, or should I trade? Thanks.
Advice... from the past Gen 1 to Gen 2 prices....Sell it ASAP! Get the most out of it now! I believe though Prices for Gen 2’s are only going to go up after everyone can see how hideous the Gen 3’s are....

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advice... from the past Gen 1 to Gen 2 prices....Sell it ASAP! Get the most out of it now! I believe though Prices for Gen 2’s are only going to go up after everyone can see how hideous the Gen 3’s are....
First time Raptor buyer here, so what do I know. But I do prefer the look of the 3rd Gen over the 2nd Gen. Not to mention all the upgrades and improvements, I believe the the 3rd gen will be a better overall truck. Don't get me wrong the 2nd Gen is a gorgeous truck, but when buying a new vehicle I'm all about the latest and greatest.
If I owned a 2nd Gen, I would consider selling it asap. I think you'll get top dollar for a 2nd Gen, especially since there isn't any dealer inventory. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First time Raptor buyer here, so what do I know. But I do prefer the look of the 3rd Gen over the 2nd Gen. Not to mention all the upgrades and improvements, I believe the the 3rd gen will be a better overall truck. Don't get me wrong the 2nd Gen is a gorgeous truck, but when buying a new vehicle I'm all about the latest and greatest.
Get a gen 3 if you are Raptorless. The premium prices for the Gen 2 is now at stupid levels. Don’t misunderstand me after 35 years of driving, My Gen2 is my favorite vehicle all time hands-down bar none.

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a gen 3 if you are Raptorless. The premium prices for the Gen 2 is now at stupid levels. Don’t misunderstand me after 35 years of driving, My Gen2 is my favorite vehicle all time hands-down bar none.

I was late to the party in buying a Gen 2, all the dealerships were sold out. But I am looking foward to becoming a Gen 3 Raptor owner. I've recently decided to buy a fullsize pickup fro my construction company. After looking at different models, the Raptor has shoot up to the top of the list. I've always loved the Gen 2's aggreesive look and stance. The more I've research the Raptors the more i want one, now just waiting for the order banks to open.