Dealership service wait time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mathman

Reaction score
My 2021 with 10k miles started flashing check engine light a few minutes ago. Noticed very rough idle at stop light, but no check engine light. When light turned green, truck had very little power, very rough and flashing check engine. Waiting for tow truck now.

When I contacted dealer, they said I could have it towed in, but that they wouldn’t look at it until middle of November. Other dealer within reasonable distance said March!?!

Is this just the way things are now? They also haven’t done the driveshaft recall saying they have no parts to fix it if anything is wrong (that was six months ago, same story at an oil change three months ago). Anyway, just trying to work out if I should be understanding or need to start making some noise. Other than claiming no parts for the recall all other interactions with this dealer have been fine (and it’s been decades since I’ve had interactions with any other dealer, so no idea what current standards are)

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2021 with 10k miles started flashing check engine light a few minutes ago. Noticed very rough idle at stop light, but no check engine light. When light turned green, truck had very little power, very rough and flashing check engine. Waiting for tow truck now.

When I contacted dealer, they said I could have it towed in, but that they wouldn’t look at it until middle of November. Other dealer within reasonable distance said March!?!

Is this just the way things are now? They also haven’t done the driveshaft recall saying they have no parts to fix it if anything is wrong (that was six months ago, same story at an oil change three months ago). Anyway, just trying to work out if I should be understanding or need to start making some noise. Other than claiming no parts for the recall all other interactions with this dealer have been fine (and it’s been decades since I’ve had interactions with any other dealer, so no idea what current standards are)
Our dealer here is booked out till February for warranty, and November for oil changes. I will have to drive 45 minutes one way if I ever need an oil change, and even then there booking a month in advance. Since it's under warranty y9u should be able to call Ford and ask for a rental vehicle while you wait.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer, pretty much. Mine has been able to get in for oil changes with a few days notice but diagnostic items are a month out, they were able to get me into their Lincoln store within a few days for my window that wouldn’t go up. Can always ask for alternative options.

If you are desperate and don’t want to work with the dealer it sounds like a bad coil, blinking CEL indicates a misfire so I wouldn’t drive it if you can. There must be some stored code for a specific cylinder. I would check and move the coil around to confirm issue. Probably could go out of pocket and just do it yourself. If that is the issue I would even go a step further and replace the spark plug with it, doubt warranty would allow that.

OP
OP
M

mathman

Reaction score
@NJ2020 @2020FordRaptor Thanks for verifying that it's not just my dealer! The dealer has been pleasant enough to work with, I was just in a bit of shock to hear that it might be six weeks before they'd even look at.

They have the truck now, and told me that if they finish other jobs early or somebody doesn't show, they might be able to pull codes and if it's something they can fit in they will. Otherwise it's got an appointment in November.

I only drove it about 100 yards after I noticed the weirdness. The Ford Pass app sent a notification that misfires were detected (I just saw the message)

IMG_1691.jpeg

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@NJ2020 @2020FordRaptor Thanks for verifying that it's not just my dealer! The dealer has been pleasant enough to work with, I was just in a bit of shock to hear that it might be six weeks before they'd even look at.

They have the truck now, and told me that if they finish other jobs early or somebody doesn't show, they might be able to pull codes and if it's something they can fit in they will. Otherwise it's got an appointment in November.

I only drove it about 100 yards after I noticed the weirdness. The Ford Pass app sent a notification that misfires were detected (I just saw the message)

View attachment 376415
You should call Ford Protect about a rental vehicle.