Dealership replaced leaf springs under warranty......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

S1ackin

Reaction score
Can you define excessive noise? I’ve had annoying leaf spring squeaks for a long time on my ’18. Mine even gives off squeak noises as I’m removing items from the bed. It’s a regular junkyard symphony if I press up and down on the tailgate with no load in the bed. I remember it started after a day of muddy off-roading. The next day after the mud dried is when I first heard it. No idea if there’s a connection.
You likely have dirt and grime between these pads between your leaf springs: https://atqauto.com/2015-2020-ford-f150-leaf-spring-outer-isolator-bushings/

Pressure washing them works, but they may also be worn out. Mine were pretty worn down on one edge. Some have suggested using this dry lube: https://www.autozone.com/greases-an...VNxatBh37twHMEAQYASABEgIS0PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I tried this and it worked pretty well. My next step was replacing the isolator bushings.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I had my leaf springs replaced by the dealer under warranty for excessive noise (they offered it when i asked if they'd cover the cost of new silencer cushions). It took them 3 days to do the work, and when I got it home I found all of this :D

View attachment 325819
View attachment 325820
View attachment 325821
View attachment 325822
View attachment 325823

Any insight into how this would have happened? Does the workshop manual call for technicians to do anything with the driveline in order to replace the springs? What would have caused fluid to be all over the rear axle? Anybody experience something similar?

I've reached out to the dealer, but they are taking their time replying.

@FordTechOne Would you be willing to share what the workshop manual instructs technicians to do when replacing the leaf springs?

Maybe check the part numbers on the springs? Regular F150 springs may have a different pin offset? Maybe they mounted the springs backwards? Very odd.

Oh, and did it fix the noise? :)

OP
OP
S

S1ackin

Reaction score
Maybe check the part numbers on the springs? Regular F150 springs may have a different pin offset? Maybe they mounted the springs backwards? Very odd.

Oh, and did it fix the noise? :)
Yep, checked part numbers, they match. Checked workshop manual procedure, springs are oriented correctly.

All squeaks gone :)

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yep, checked part numbers, they match. Checked workshop manual procedure, springs are oriented correctly.

All squeaks gone :)
Well, I guess if the new springs have significantly more arch than the old ones, that could account for the slip yoke sticking out further, since the distance between the pinion is now longer than it was before.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the rear tire look like it's centered in the wheel opening? Sure looks like a center pin problem. The relationship between the axle,spacer block and spring look correct? Installing the springs backwards is easy to do.

OP
OP
S

S1ackin

Reaction score
Does the rear tire look like it's centered in the wheel opening? Sure looks like a center pin problem. The relationship between the axle,spacer block and spring look correct? Installing the springs backwards is easy to do.
The rear tire is definitely not centered, but I'm not sure if it ever was, I never measured it. Is it supposed to be centered?PXL_20211025_141248199.jpgPXL_20211025_141213245.jpgPXL_20211025_141205301.jpg

Thanks to getting covid this weekend I won't be able to take it into the shop for my appt today :(

I also noticed the orientation of the drop shackles seems to be reversed, can anyone confirm the orientation of the stock drop shackles? This photo is from the passenger side, looking towards the center of the truck from the outside.
PXL_20211025_140709272.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211025_141248199.jpg
    PXL_20211025_141248199.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 6

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shackle looks correctly orientated. I hooked a tape measure on the outside of the front eye bolt (driver's side, no hex extention on the end) and measured to the front center pin. 28 7/8" approximately to the center of the pin. If it measures more than that, like 31" or so, the springs are in backwards .

Last edited:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2020 already squeaking @ 15k miles I think it started @ like 10k my 2018 didn’t really have it at all

It’s annoying, my leafs look new as they should, & were also doused in Amsoil HDMP early on too which “should” have lessened probability of dirt/grime causing the noise esp w/ such low miles. On my 2018 by 40k miles they had already sagged some to the point truck looked nearly level when empty unless you really looked hard at it

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not so easy when you have a lift and stands at a Ford dealership, just saying. At home, I can see stuff happening, of course.
Yep. I've installed Bilsteins at home (on a previous vehicle) and can say it's worth paying labor for someone else to do it. (Unless you have a lift)

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rear tire is definitely not centered, but I'm not sure if it ever was, I never measured it. Is it supposed to be centered?View attachment 326535View attachment 326536View attachment 326537

Thanks to getting covid this weekend I won't be able to take it into the shop for my appt today :(

I also noticed the orientation of the drop shackles seems to be reversed, can anyone confirm the orientation of the stock drop shackles? This photo is from the passenger side, looking towards the center of the truck from the outside.
View attachment 326538
The rear tires should be centered, somebody ****** up!! That's why the yoke is sticking out, I bet the springs are backwards! Like, I really hope I am wrong!!! This is disgusting to see this kind of workmanship or lack of it. :mad::biggun::favorites68:

Don't drive it and flex the rearend, the brake lines can get stretched and you won't even notice until later on when you have more problems down the road. Insert, the hand over the eye's MEME!