GEN 2 Dealers, Warranties and TSBs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I called a local dealer here in SoCal to get a TSB done on the rough shifting transmission. Called, they said no problem bring it in we'll flash while you wait. Great! Made an appt for today at 8am. On my way there my recurring P0420 CEL. came on (catalyst below threshold value). I told them it was probably that CEL as I've had it before and cleared it. So I'm in the lounge and my service advisor (who was really cool BTW) came in with a tech to discuss the CEL. The tech said it could be caused by my aftermarket intake. Right away alarm bells went off. I calmly said there is no way in hell a bad CAT is caused by an aftermarket intake. We left it at that and I said that is not why the truck is here, it's here for the TSB for the tranny. Waited a bit longer then my SA comes over and says the service manager wants to speak with me. She tells me they won't do the TSB due to my 'modifications'. I asked her to explain how an intake has anything to do with a transmission TSB that should take 20 mins. At the end of the day I left without anything being done.

Is it just dealers around here that are this stupid? Anyone know of a mod friendly dealer in SoCal (Los Angeles specifically)? I think I might call Ford corp but would it just be a waste of time? Anyone with any mods stay far away from Santa Monica Ford.

So obviously the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act did nothing for me here - those of you who use this as a shield that no once can deny you warranty are kidding yourselves. I asked the SM if my radio broke would she deny warranty on that due to my 'modifications' - she said no. I said the intake has as little to do with the trans as it does the radio. She gave zero *****. Wonder what @FordTechOne thinks?

THE TSB

cb4a99cd3d5583a75738f2eb3f13981a.jpg

The Denial of service/warranty/TSB

68892f6c0add31f94d5c5d1bc5ed1a58.jpg

The awful service managers card

6711a5625503a6c17843c053ee20bb01.jpg

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your service advisor works on commission and wants to sell you something expensive that isn't covered by warranty. You might call around and see if any of the local service departments are not on a commission basis. That would probably be an indicator of a higher quality department anyway.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I called a local dealer here in SoCal to get a TSB done on the rough shifting transmission. Called, they said no problem bring it in we'll flash while you wait. Great! Made an appt for today at 8am. On my way there my recurring P0420 CEL. came on (catalyst below threshold value). I told them it was probably that CEL as I've had it before and cleared it. So I'm in the lounge and my service advisor (who was really cool BTW) came in with a tech to discuss the CEL. The tech said it could be caused by my aftermarket intake. Right away alarm bells went off. I calmly said there is no way in hell a bad CAT is caused by an aftermarket intake. We left it at that and I said that is not why the truck is here, it's here for the TSB for the tranny. Waited a bit longer then my SA comes over and says the service manager wants to speak with me. She tells me they won't do the TSB due to my 'modifications'. I asked her to explain how an intake has anything to do with a transmission TSB that should take 20 mins. At the end of the day I left without anything being done.

Is it just dealers around here that are this stupid? Anyone know of a mod friendly dealer in SoCal (Los Angeles specifically)? I think I might call Ford corp but would it just be a waste of time? Anyone with any mods stay far away from Santa Monica Ford.

So obviously the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act did nothing for me here - those of you who use this as a shield that no once can deny you warranty are kidding yourselves. I asked the SM if my radio broke would she deny warranty on that due to my 'modifications' - she said no. I said the intake has as little to do with the trans as it does the radio. She gave zero *****. Wonder what @FordTechOne thinks?

THE TSB

cb4a99cd3d5583a75738f2eb3f13981a.jpg

The Denial of service/warranty/TSB

68892f6c0add31f94d5c5d1bc5ed1a58.jpg

The awful service managers card

6711a5625503a6c17843c053ee20bb01.jpg
The Mag-Moss Act isn’t self-enforcing. It’s not like you can call the Warranty Police and report the violation and expect a resolution. I’m actually a lawyer litigating a case that includes multiple claims on behalf of a small dealer, one of which is the Mag-Moss Act. We’re about 1.5 years into the case and both sides are standing firm on their position. I’m in a county where the court doesn’t issue a scheduling order, which means we can keep going for as long as we need before we set it for trial.

You got a ******** tech. My glovebox was all scratched up when they changed my cabin filter (I got the maintenance plan so I don’t have to spend time doing it). The tech returned my truck to me without a care in the world. The SA told him to replace the glovebox. He messed up that too so they had to order another glovebox. As he was replacing it, he was cursing at the quality of the glovebox (dash cam recorded it). Some techs are just *****. The SA is just the friendly face for the dealer but they don’t have much say on how the techs do their job in the back.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a call to Ford Customer Care is in order...? Seems ridiculous about the intake in relation to a transmission TSB.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Mag-Moss Act isn’t self-enforcing. It’s not like you can call the Warranty Police and report the violation and expect a resolution. I’m actually a lawyer litigating a case that includes multiple claims on behalf of a small dealer, one of which is the Mag-Moss Act. We’re about 1.5 years into the case and both sides are standing firm on their position. I’m in a county where the court doesn’t issue a scheduling order, which means we can keep going for as long as we need before we set it for trial.

You got a ******** tech. My glovebox was all scratched up when they changed my cabin filter (I got the maintenance plan so I don’t have to spend time doing it). The tech returned my truck to me without a care in the world. The SA told him to replace the glovebox. He messed up that too so they had to order another glovebox. As he was replacing it, he was cursing at the quality of the glovebox (dash cam recorded it). Some techs are just *****. The SA is just the friendly face for the dealer but they don’t have much say on how the techs do their job in the back.

I know it isn't self enforcing - that is kind of my point. What recourse do I have (or anyone for that matter)? I'm not gonna lawyer up over this obviously. And the SA was totally cool, he was very apologetic etc. It was the service manager that decided to punt my truck.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it isn't self enforcing - that is kind of my point. What recourse do I have (or anyone for that matter)? I'm not gonna lawyer up over this obviously. And the SA was totally cool, he was very apologetic etc. It was the service manager that decided to punt my truck.
Any way to restore the truck back to stock and try again at another dealer?

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're right about SA's. Had a 2 year engine problem years ago on a Chrysler and they threw everything at it. Still wasn't right (it was under warranty thank God) when I found a YT video of how to fix the problem. The SA would have none of it. It just happened my tech came out to the desk when I was standing there. Showed him the video. He said it couldn't be that but would look at it. He called me later that day and vuoila, all fixed! Useless is right!

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sure I could but I won't. I'm actually speaking with Ford Corp as I type this. Will update with any new info.

Let us know how it turns out, because several of us might find ourselves in a similar situation down the road. I have an MPT tune with transmission tune, so I would not take mine in for a rough shifting TSB, but there might be other TSBs which could randomly be denied.