Dealer temporary inventory alarm is T-tapped into my truck's wiring harness? WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
Putting alarms in isn't the point. And unless they are put in by the dealer or a company that says, in writing, you won't void your warranty because they have an agreement with the manufacturer, you're at risk of warranty denial from the manufacturer. This is common sense.

The OP has had his BRAND NEW truck hacked into by the dealership and, if that's not bad enough, it was hacked at a super critical point: the frikin wiring harness. AND, he was told they didn't actually cut into it, when they did! Unacceptable in any shape, form or fashion.

A dealer has the right, in any case, to deny warranty service if they see you tampered with the vehicle in any way. A lot will not deny you, but a huge number will.

Unless this procedure is normal and understood by ALL Ford dealers, and each dealer knows that if they come across a harness that was cut, and they check the system and see the work is in writing by another Ford dealer, or in the system that a dealer did the cutting, you'd be a fool to think you can't possibly be denied service from any dealer if you start having electrical issues years from now.

I'm glad your dealer is working with you though and I would continue to get the car back to brand new factory condition regarding this part (the harness). Hopefully it's just a section that can be disconnected and replaced as opposed to opening up the whole vehicle to replace the entire harness.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is it only done in urban areas?

I don't think it is only done in urban areas, but it is certainly more common in urban areas than rural areas around here.

From the numbers I can find, metro areas have higher vehicle theft rates (on the order of twice as high) than the national average, while small cities and rural areas have vehicle theft rates below (on the order of half and smaller) the national average.

Adding such alarms is a cost of doing business. If the business is in a lower probability of theft area and the dealer decides this action is not needed this cost can be saved, lowering consumer cost or raising profits.

T!

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just let them remove the two taps and repair the wires and move on.
Trying to get the entire harness replaced is going to likely lead to problems.
I would not trust having that done.
What they fid not really that big a deal.
Get over it and move on

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
Do you have pictures or descriptions of where these devices are located and what they look like so the rest of us can look to see if these devices are on our trucks?

OP
OP
Droid

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Theoretically alarm company is coming to me next week (or I'm going to dealer) and they're going to "completely 100% remove and correct it.". We'll see what that means. I'm hopeful they'll be able to correct it to a standard where I'm certain it can't cause a problem. Real concern though is they need to correct it to a standard where a Ford warranty advisor/advocate/auditor/whatever-they-call-them can directly look at it and say "this will not in any way affect your warranty."

Again I paid for a new truck with factory warranty and 7/100 Ford ESP, and specifically affirmed with salesman *before purchase* that the dealer alarm system did not have *ANY CUTTING* into wiring harnesses and could be completely removed. Was informed that it was a plugin device and would simply be unplugged.

Do you have pictures or descriptions of where these devices are located and what they look like so the rest of us can look to see if these devices are on our trucks?

Just open/drop the glovebox "all the way" (by releasing damper and pushing in tabs, see youtube). If it's intact all the harnesses should be super clean and wrapped in that cloth tape/sheath.. If it's split open like a gutted deer with its intestines hanging out like mine, you have a problem. Also look for those plastic T-taps. (purple in picture, but they come in various colors)...you should have exactly NONE. Also check the interior fuse panel forward of door in passenger footwell for same.

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
Theoretically alarm company is coming to me next week (or I'm going to dealer) and they're going to "completely 100% remove and correct it.". We'll see what that means. I'm hopeful they'll be able to correct it to a standard where I'm certain it can't cause a problem. Real concern though is they need to correct it to a standard where a Ford warranty advisor/advocate/auditor/whatever-they-call-them can directly look at it and say "this will not in any way affect your warranty."

Again I paid for a new truck with factory warranty and 7/100 Ford ESP, and specifically affirmed with salesman *before purchase* that the dealer alarm system did not have *ANY CUTTING* into wiring harnesses and could be completely removed. Was informed that it was a plugin device and would simply be unplugged.

Just open/drop the glovebox "all the way" (by releasing damper and pushing in tabs, see youtube). If it's intact all the harnesses should be super clean and wrapped in that cloth tape/sheath.. If it's split open like a gutted deer with its intestines hanging out like mine, you have a problem. Also look for those plastic T-taps. (purple in picture, but they come in various colors)...you should have exactly NONE. Also check the interior fuse panel forward of door in passenger footwell for same.

I looked at your pic on page 1. I also cannot figure out what you are referring to. If I opened my glove box I wouldn't be sure what I'm looking for. I'm not seeing any purlple connectors in your pic. It would be good to replace that pic with one that has the problem areas circled etc. or just upload a modified pic.

And I would take yours to the dealer and have them perform it there, where it can be all written up and approved by Ford and in the system. That way, no Ford dealer can deny you anything if it's written up in their system. Think months or years down the road when no one (except you) will remember the details.