Dealer Sold My Raptor 37 to Another Buyer!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Raptor nation, unfortunately I’m leaving forum since I don’t have a Raptor anymore ☹️

I was completely screwed over by Covert Ford in Austin, TX. Details below, which are 100% accurate. Spoke with the GM of dealer today, Carlos, and would highly recommend NOT to do business with such clowns.

Raptor 37 PP with an Oct 10 2021 order:
- walked into dealer Jan 19th 2022
- sales person and inventory manager print out a few Raptors that they have dealer stock ordered and told me were not spoken for and available to reserve
- I selected a Black, loaded 37 PP
- Signed the attached order form which included the VIN number, order number, and agreement to pay $5k over sticker
- paid $500 deposit and both myself and the salesperson signed the document
- Called 2.17.22 (my B-Day) hoping to get any updates and good news as a gift
- salesperson starts back peddling and says the truck might have to be switched?!?!
- I then visit the dealer 2.18.22 and ask for Sales Manager, Lee, he apologizes about confusion and claims he will get to the bottom of it since there are 2 buyers, 1 truck. I said if I’m the 2nd guy, I’ll back off and take my deposit back, but I could tell something was off.
- straight asked if they sold to someone else for more money and it was obvious
- they then ghost me for 3 days after he claims we was gonna work it out with the GM
- GM calls me today, provides no real reason that this mistake happens and has the nerve to say “my story isn’t adding up” and that they can’t sell me the truck. And they can’t confirm if/when another 37 PP available. I plead my case and falls on deaf ears, as they don’t care and want the extra $$ from the other buyer.

I ask for my deposit back and said I’ll take business elsewhere and would rather pay more money to work with a dealer that has any integrity, which is rare nowadays.

It’s truly a shame dealers can get away with this nowadays, but what can I do.

Anyways if you read this whole post, I appreciate the floor to vent, and please do NOT use Covert Ford Austin, TX

Best of luck with your Raptors! Bought a Tremor instead from Mac Haik (who have been awesome) and will enjoy it till this market hopefully adjust back to sanity in a couple years and I can get a Raptor next time!!

Attachments

• 3D090DDC-AC22-4A58-BC69-52751F9909E6.jpeg
    3D090DDC-AC22-4A58-BC69-52751F9909E6.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 807
  • E241B426-E495-45AD-8B80-AD30143A0C49.jpeg
    E241B426-E495-45AD-8B80-AD30143A0C49.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 825

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was worried about this myself as well. As soon as my Raptor landed there were people flooding the store wanting to buy it. I paid ADM but knew as soon as someone else offered more it’s likely gone. I didn’t relax till I signed the paperwork via fedex and saw the tag info.

Many years ago happened to my wife on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Thankfully back then inventory was better and actually upgraded us to a limited for the same deal to make up for it.

Sounds like you got a nice truck anyways and happy bday!!

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine arrived at the dealership I was told I have 7 days to pick it up or they'd sell it to someone else.

It hit the dealer's website on the day I was picking it up. They had 5 offers before I got there.

I think the GM would have been happier to sell it to someone else, they stuck with their promise of MSRP to me. They would have marked it up if I didn't take it.

OP
OP
T

TXRaptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine arrived at the dealership I was told I have 7 days to pick it up or they'd sell it to someone else.

It hit the dealer's website on the day I was picking it up. They had 5 offers before I got there.

I think the GM would have been happier to sell it to someone else, they stuck with their promise of MSRP to me. They would have marked it up if I didn't take it.
Thanks everyone for hearing me out, and sounds like these stories are more and more common which is equally both ridiculous and honestly sad.

EMY92 - good to hear your dealer actually kept their promise, as it did what all businesses should do. Honor a deal

I mean it’s one thing to be old fashioned and think a handshake seals the deal anymore (which it should). I live in Texas and full of people that you can look in the eye, shake their hand, and not second guess the outcome.

unfortunately that doesn’t exists today with dealers. But to take a step further to have both parties sign an order sheet, with an agreed upon price, VIN number, and take a hard deposit and still a dealer backs put on the deal. I mean really, WTF…..

Funny how these “non refundable” deposit work and completely one sided. 2 options:

1. Buyer backs out - dealer keeps money and buyer has zero recourse
2. Dealer backs out - Buyer gets money back and buyer has zero recourse…

Hmm…..def zero consumer protection with this kind of BS.

BalorGrayJax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to me. Twice(although one was an allocation issue, the other was straight taking my order that I had a much larger deposit down on).

Regardless, thanks to the forum I was still able to land a CO 37pp that I'm supposed to pickup on Thursday morning. Much like anyone else this has happened to however I'm going to be anxious and nervous until I leave the dealership with the truck. The other cool piece is that my truck I'm picking up is 100% sticker for sticker identical to the one I ordered myself back in July so it all worked out, even if it was a crappy situation.

xxxMannimalxxx

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for hearing me out, and sounds like these stories are more and more common which is equally both ridiculous and honestly sad.

EMY92 - good to hear your dealer actually kept their promise, as it did what all businesses should do. Honor a deal

I mean it’s one thing to be old fashioned and think a handshake seals the deal anymore (which it should). I live in Texas and full of people that you can look in the eye, shake their hand, and not second guess the outcome.

unfortunately that doesn’t exists today with dealers. But to take a step further to have both parties sign an order sheet, with an agreed upon price, VIN number, and take a hard deposit and still a dealer backs put on the deal. I mean really, WTF…..

Funny how these “non refundable” deposit work and completely one sided. 2 options:

1. Buyer backs out - dealer keeps money and buyer has zero recourse
2. Dealer backs out - Buyer gets money back and buyer has zero recourse…

Hmm…..def zero consumer protection with this kind of BS.

I don't know. If you had a contract, I would probably file a small claims complaint against them up to the maximum allowed (varies by state). The amount of the claim would be the difference from MSRP (agreed price) to the amount of ADM in your area to purchase the same vehicle.