Dealer No Longer Fill Coolant/Poss Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V6Raptor

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironically enough, after I posted this, I started monitoring my coolant level and noticed it seems to be low. When cold, it’s slightly below the MIN line and when hot, right in the middle. Took a closer look in the engine bay and no visible coolant leaks that I can see, however, I did find dried white residue in drip mark shape which could be coolant. Have not had any issues driving except one occasion recently where the coolant temp reached around 236 degrees. Mines is a 2019 with 32k miles. Going to schedule another visit with the dealership…

01Moch1

Reaction score
I actually ran into very similar situation. Had my 2018 in to the dealer to perform a couple TSBs. I mentioned to the SA that the coolant was just slightly low and asked if they can top it off for me, to which he replied they don't top off coolant because if it is low there's a leak in the closed system somewhere and they want to do diagnostic and find the leak. I've been monitoring my low level several months and it hasn't changed, it's also very easy to see where my leak was...

On a side note, what coolant are you guys using to top off with? I remember reading a post where a newer coolant was recommended by Ford and could be added to the current, outdated coolant but haven't been able to relocate that thread.

Attachments

• Notes_220725_090910_be1.png
    Notes_220725_090910_be1.png
    1 MB · Views: 11

Mike T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not odd. Pretty much no quick lube place tops off coolant anymore.

There are probably 5-6 reasons I can think of.

A big one is this.

Coolant bottles used to be unpressurized "over flow" bottles. In the last 25 years coolant bottles known as "degas bottles" are the norm.

Degas bottles are integrated into the pressurized side of the cooling system, and most if not all have the "radiator cap" on them. it is dangerous to open a hot pressurized cooling system.

When ever you have a question, the answer is almost always liability/safety.
What he said…

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Top off with some redline water wetter.
Ugh don't do that. That shit is terrible, has solids in it and will eventually coat the system with a white funky haze. Did many tests with various water surfactants back in the day. If you are going to add anything like a water wetter I would recommend Hy-per Cool Super Coolant.