Dealer misleading discounts - how is this allowed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I understand the offers being automatically applied and those shady practices but if you look at the truck I listed, the dealer actually mistates the MSRP of the truck as being 78k, then say they discounted it by 10k to 68k.

When I look at the window sticker of the truck the msrp is 68k. The statement on the website that the msrp is 78k is incorrect. How can ford be ok with that?!

It’s not ‘internet mistake’ type tactics, they are actually misstating the msrp of the truck. Surely that is a lie on the face of the listing. Madness!

https://www.ag.state.la.us/ConsumerDisputes

You’re right. The dealer website clearly says the MSRP is 10k over what the window sticker says. Get screen shots before the dealer takes them down. Report them to both Ford and the ag office above. They are probably perfectly ok indicating that they’re overcharging you, charging you a dealer mark up, or whatever, but the MSRP is binary; it is accurate or it’s a lie. In this case, the dealer is flat out lying.

Bonus points if you call them or visit them and record the conversation(check and be sure LA is a one party consent state first). If they confirm the MSRP is 10k over, that tells you it’s not a web service provider mistake, and it shows intent to deceive. Intent is key in proving a consumer complaint.

D

Deleted member 12951

Robinson Brothers Ford has a BBB A+ rating and been in business for over 70 years. Ford ain’t doing shit. I would get over it and move onto a different dealership. There are plenty of others out there. Otherwise go ahead and waste your time.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
in some states, it would be a waste of time but some would take it more seriously. A fine is possible for deceptive advertising in some states; in reality, most of the time they just make the vendor correct it.

however... If everybody does what you suggest, nothing ever changes. because with only one complaint, an AG consumer protection office will consider it a fluke, but with 30 complaints, they’re less likely to just “let it slide” and make them correct the advertising error. Remember the pre-internet “bait and switch” ads? I got suckered into that by a local dealer when I was trying to buy my first car. With no help from me, but about a month or 3 later, they were fined for exactly that and fined a pretty significant amount; it made the local 6 o’clock news.

OP
OP
A

Alex Davey

Reaction score
I thought about reporting it to the Baton Rouge Better Business Bureau and saying I am concerned by the rating given the misstatements on the website. Then I decided I have enough admin going on with the move from the UK to USA and left it. I’ll just avoid them.

It’s a shame the practices are so shady.

carsonmd

Reaction score
Usually referred to as "conditional" offers. Dealers use it all the time to lure you.

bighaeb

Reaction score
I instantly put them on the list of dealers I won’t do business with. I feel your best bet will always be online shopping, and find dealers that have realistic discounts disclosed up front (for instance, between $1000-$2500 off)

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I thought about reporting it to the Baton Rouge Better Business Bureau and saying I am concerned by the rating given the misstatements on the website. Then I decided I have enough admin going on with the move from the UK to USA and left it. I’ll just avoid them.

It’s a shame the practices are so shady.

Well, at least once you’re finally moved over here you’ll finally get to legally drive on the proper side of the road.
;-)

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I recall we have a Gen 2 owner in Scotland. I’ve ridden there and yeah, I can totally see the Rap taking up 1.1x actual road width in some places.