Dealer is not honoring the Purchase Price on website - What are my options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Optima

Reaction score
I know that most dealers are trying to mark up the Raptor 10k+ over MSRP. I've been looking to land one at MSRP.
I found one that let me start the process online and had the Price listed for MSRP. 37 801A with all the bells and whistles.

I quickly submitted the order and uploaded all my documentation to secure it. I called them - in order to thank them for not being a garbage dealership and the guy told me - we're going to mark it up 10k you're not going to get it for the price that was listed on the website even though I could start the process, submit documentation, etc.

I think this is ********.
What are my options here? Do I have any legal recourse?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    410.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 2.png
    2.png
    384.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Some states do make life slightly more difficult for bait and switch ads, but it’s usually not a short or satisfying process, typically they fine a stealership after the fact. Depending on how good a negotiator and hard áss you are, you can try to make them comply with the terms of the advertisement.

As an example, it’s illegal in Texas and the consumer can bring a cause of action https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/SOTWDocs/BC/htm/BC.17.htm

but it’s not quite the “uniform” deceptive practices law, which I believe is a little more “toothy”.

See if your state has such a law and if so, go in ready for a fight. I’m reasonably good at the ‘ready for a fight’ part, but I know my limits and when my temper is about to get the best of my negotiating ability and it usually does.

You do seem to have a pretty good bait and switch scenario here. if it were me, and I wanted the truck, I’d do it. Worst case, you cost the stealership some court trips for their counsel - make sure you get a couple continuances as is your right. Then, present your evidence.

A lawyer may get you further along.

3Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a very intentional bait and switch scheme. Scumbags. But short of you having a signed purchase agreement, you are probably not in a strong position legally. Doesn't mean you can't carpet-bomb them on social media, yelp, etc.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It's directly shown on the pic he posted.
Not what this stealership did, that’s not covered. Typos or inadvertent mistakes are one thing, not correcting illustrates they’re comfortable with lying and misleading people to get them in the door.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Not what this stealership did, that’s not covered. Typos or inadvertent mistakes are one thing, not correcting illustrates they’re comfortable with lying and misleading people to get them in the door.
Laws are so 2019. This dealer will be confirmed as the next Secretary of Dollar Bills.