Dealer is closing down operations and said my order for a '23 will be handled by another dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Interesting. So what’s the point of placing a deposit, getting a dora/order confirmation from ford if there’s no possibility in getting a vin? I have a couple other dealers that were willing to place an order at msrp, albeit a few hours drive away.
Some stealerships, IMO, claim the “possibility one will free up” but probably know there’s literally no chance of this in the near term and again IMO secretly hope you cancel but Ford will eventually deliver an allocated order to them. At some point in the order process, which I’m not fully versed on, if you cancel, the stealership will still get the truck eventually at which point under the current system, they can charge what they want.

Would every 2023 order with an allocation have a vin at this point? It is only a week or two into 2023 production.

I don’t know if anyone knows the answer to that question but if you’ve made an order and haven’t gotten a VIN, the longer it’s been, the less likely the order gets fulfilled.

Maybe someone with more insight and current understanding of the ordering system Ford is using can chime in.

I can say that ordering a Raptor in the ’21 - ’22 era is at least 3x worse than ’16 - ’17 for the Jen Too. At least Ford was able to produce 15k or so trucks a year. IDK what final ’21 numbers were, but probably not even 5 digits.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some stealerships, IMO, claim the “possibility one will free up” but probably know there’s literally no chance of this in the near term and again IMO secretly hope you cancel but Ford will eventually deliver an allocated order to them. At some point in the order process, which I’m not fully versed on, if you cancel, the stealership will still get the truck eventually at which point under the current system, they can charge what they want.

I don’t know if anyone knows the answer to that question but if you’ve made an order and haven’t gotten a VIN, the longer it’s been, the less likely the order gets fulfilled.

Maybe someone with more insight and current understanding of the ordering system Ford is using can chime in.

I can say that ordering a Raptor in the ’21 - ’22 era is at least 3x worse than ’16 - ’17 for the Jen Too. At least Ford was able to produce 15k or so trucks a year. IDK what final ’21 numbers were, but probably not even 5 digits.
Ah ok, I thought based on the matter of fact statement you were bringing a new piece of inside information to the table…

For OP, he is definitely in a tight spot. The way ford is dealing with raptors right now is a dealer is told a fixed number of retail allocations that ford plans to deliver on for the upcoming model year. Then as the year goes on ford cycles through those allocations one by one. When ford actually picks the allocation for a dealer then the VIN will be generated and the truck formally scheduled.

So not having a VIN at this point does not mean the allocation is vaporware, assuming the dealer was truthful that your place in line reflected an actual allocation they were told by ford would be built. (Example if OP was #2 of 3 total) BUT for sure having a VIN would mean significantly more order security.

what does matter for OP is how ford shifts these allocations to a new dealer. The dealer has full say in which of their raptor orders gets pulled when ford grants an allocation. So say dealer X closing down meant their 3 allocations are going to dealer Z, and now dealer Z has 6 total instead of 3 total. Dealer Z could choose to select the trucks from their own waitlist customers before OP and even freeze out OP in favor of their own customers if they had more orders than actual allocations prior to the shift. Not even layering in no price protections between dealers.

@Gopher11 I would aggressively push for who this new dealer is, I think the overall theme in responses that your allocation is at risk is definitely true. As much as it sucks I would start ramping up calls for backup orders until I have confirmation of where the allocations are going and how they are going to handle

OP
OP
Gopher11

Gopher11

Reaction score
I Ah ok, I thought based on the matter of fact statement you were bringing a new piece of inside information to the table…

For OP, he is definitely in a tight spot. The way ford is dealing with raptors right now is a dealer is told a fixed number of retail allocations that ford plans to deliver on for the upcoming model year. Then as the year goes on ford cycles through those allocations one by one. When ford actually picks the allocation for a dealer then the VIN will be generated and the truck formally scheduled.

So not having a VIN at this point does not mean the allocation is vaporware, assuming the dealer was truthful that your place in line reflected an actual allocation they were told by ford would be built. (Example if OP was #2 of 3 total) BUT for sure having a VIN would mean significantly more order security.

what does matter for OP is how ford shifts these allocations to a new dealer. The dealer has full say in which of their raptor orders gets pulled when ford grants an allocation. So say dealer X closing down meant their 3 allocations are going to dealer Z, and now dealer Z has 6 total instead of 3 total. Dealer Z could choose to select the trucks from their own waitlist customers before OP and even freeze out OP in favor of their own customers if they had more orders than actual allocations prior to the shift. Not even layering in no price protections between dealers.

@Gopher11 I would aggressively push for who this new dealer is, I think the overall theme in responses that your allocation is at risk is definitely true. As much as it sucks I would start ramping up calls for backup orders until I have confirmation of where the allocations are going and how they are going to handle
I talked with ford performance and ford customer support. What I got from both is that new dealer would have to have an allocation regardless. So I’m back to square one. FP said that transferring over the order is a safer bet. From ford customer service transferring the order is no big deal. I’m waiting to hear back from a small dealer. I had a contact at a higher volume dealer but they want fee for not having a trade in and they want to run your credit just for orders.

Should I take a chance with the small dealer if they say they still have an allocation? They see a few Shelby’s here and there but this truck will likely be the most expensive thing that’s rolled in there in a while if a vin does materialize.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Should I take a chance with the small dealer if they say they still have an allocation? They see a few Shelby’s here and there but this truck will likely be the most expensive thing that’s rolled in there in a while if a vin does materialize.

Pretty sure a fullboat f350 price blows the Raptor out of the water, by a lot.

Did you put down a deposit?

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked with ford performance and ford customer support. What I got from both is that new dealer would have to have an allocation regardless. So I’m back to square one. FP said that transferring over the order is a safer bet. From ford customer service transferring the order is no big deal. I’m waiting to hear back from a small dealer. I had a contact at a higher volume dealer but they want fee for not having a trade in and they want to run your credit just for orders.

I went with a smaller dealer who appears to do decent F150 business, alot of commercial clients. its imperfect but you can ask how their raptor orders went last year, my dealer told me they took 3 2022 retail orders and delivered all 3 2022 retail trucks, in addition to getting 3 2022 stock allocations. I was first on their list for 2023 so given 6 raptors in 2022 i am probably 80% confident i will see the truck.... at some point this model year even if it isnt till july.

OP
OP
Gopher11

Gopher11

Reaction score
I went with a smaller dealer who appears to do decent F150 business, alot of commercial clients. its imperfect but you can ask how their raptor orders went last year, my dealer told me they took 3 2022 retail orders and delivered all 3 2022 retail trucks, in addition to getting 3 2022 stock allocations. I was first on their list for 2023 so given 6 raptors in 2022 i am probably 80% confident i will see the truck.... at some point this model year even if it isnt till july.
That sounds like the dealer I plan on going with. Thanks for this info!

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a '23 37pp w/ Recaro seats at a Florida dealer back in September. I got an email and confirmed from the rep that they will be closing up shop in November. They said that I would be contacted by Ford to setup another dealer to handle the delivery. Nearly all other Ford dealers in may area (Florida) pretty much told me to kick rocks when I tried to place an order. This is what makes me nervous, that Ford will send my order to another dealer that will price gouge me when it comes. I'm going to contact Ford this Monday to see if they can get me more information but I'm not sure what I should expect or what I should do.
The dealer made to much ADM and retired!

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Shelby's or actual GT-500's?

GT-500 dealer had 6 months ago has MSRP of 110k. And as someone said F350 limited are cresting over 100k this year.